Wednesday 16 March 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Jess Kitching

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Jess Kitching. 

Jess is an avid reader, writer and binge-watcher. Originally from Bradford, England, she currently lives in Sydney with her fiancé Jack. Her two goals in life were to move to Australia and have a book published. To be able to say she has done both is something she still can’t wrap her head around.

What kind of books do you write?

I write exciting, fast-paced, twist-filled books with shocking endings that leave readers desperate for someone else to read the book so they can talk to them about it. I’m influenced by writers like Lisa Jewell, Elle Croft, and Gillian Flynn. 

Can you describe your writing why?

Writing has always been my biggest passion and the thing I’ve wanted to do with my life. When I was younger, I attended a Jacqueline Wilson author talk and book signing, and it changed my life. Listening to her speak about her craft and where her inspiration came from was a revelation to me. I wanted to create books like hers so badly! 

Even though what I write now isn’t in the same genre as her novels, the lessons about creating 3D, imperfect characters, and writing about tricky subjects is something that has stayed with me.

For the storyline of The Girl She Was Before, my inspiration came after doing an interview about my experience of having a facial difference (I have a birthmark on my forehead). I talked about some of the treatment I received and doing so made me think of the impact it has had on me throughout my life. That was the starting point of the storyline of The Girl She Was Before

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This section is from the end of my first chapter. I love this because it really sets up the story and starts it in an intense place, so (hopefully!) from the beginning the reader knows they are in store for an action-packed tale.

With adrenaline coursing through her veins, Hallie glances in the rear-view mirror once more. Headlights shine so close they’re dazzling. White spots dance in her eyes. She winces and turns the steering wheel ever so slightly, but at that speed the slightest movement is all it takes.
The wheels spin out of control as the car hurtles off the road towards the unknown.
There’s a scream, the last thing either woman hears before the sickening crunch of metal rings out into the night. Then… nothing.


Tell us about your latest project

The Girl She Was Before explores the lasting impact of a trauma like bullying, toxic friendships and the pressures women are under to be 'perfect'. I wanted to write a book with rounded female characters who weren't 'good' or 'perfect' all the time - as well as a thriller with a wild twist at the end!

On the surface, my main character Nat has it all, but she is crippled with insecurity and anxiety thanks to her teenage experiences. So much of what she does is for others, not herself, and she lives in this heightened state of needing to be perfect. However, when her best friend is murdered and her biggest tormentor returns, that carefully crafted life of hers unravels…

What is your favourite cake?

A classic Victoria Sponge is my favourite! Whenever I go back to visit the UK, I can’t wait to go for an afternoon tea. 


You can connect with Jess on Twitter:@kitching_jess

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Amanda Brittany. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment