Wednesday 30 March 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Olivia Charles

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Olivia Charles.

What kind of books do you write?

I am fascinated by the human mind and like to write about complex sociopaths who use psychological control to abuse and extort their targeted victims. I usually write in the POV of the unsuspecting victim, so the reader also experiences the abuse.

Can you describe your writing why?

I love to read and love to write, taking me to situations I would never dare to go in real life. I also abhor the violation of victims and want to speak out about criminal traps and scams. 

I think we all need to understand coercive control and change society's general perception of victims.  Women are statistically the most likely to become victims of domestic, sexual or financial abuse, but in my current WIP the targeted victim is a strong male.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

‘My solicitor told me to have a DNA test, to prove he’s broken his injunction.’ 
‘I hope you took his advice?’ Margot’s face flushed with genuine anger. ‘The bastard deserves to be punished.’
‘True, but I can’t discuss sexual abuse with men in military unifiorm, especially when they don’t speak English.’
‘I can manage a bit of Spanish. I’ll go with you now if you like.’ Margot touched my hand.
‘You must be joking,’ I believed she wanted to help but she was drunk, ‘we can’t rock up to the Guardia HQ stinking of booze, we’d get arrested.’
‘Good point.’ The cigarette waggled between her glossy pink lips as she lit it. ‘Although they might overlook the drinking thing, as we’d be reporting a much more serious crime…’

Tell us about your latest project

I have just written my first psychological crime thriller about a woman who buys a new mobile phone. Unbeknown to her, the phone has been chipped and tracked by a criminal who is prepared to sacrifice her life and destroy her family in order to steal her assetsnull.


What is your favourite cake?

To be honest, I love any cake, but my favourite is probably a slice of coffee and walnut.


You can connect with Olivia on Facebook: facebook.com/oliviacharlesuk

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with John Bowers. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake (aka a Kofi) - it's what makes the world go round!



Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment