Wednesday 23 March 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Amanda Brittany

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Amanda Brittany.

Amanda is the best-selling author of five psychological crime thrillers. Her debut, Her Last Lie, has raised almost £8700 for Cancer Research UK from her eBook royalties, in memory of her sister.

Amanda lives in Hertfordshire with her husband and cute dog. When she's not writing, she loves spending time with her family and friends, walking her dog, reading & sunny days. She also writes psychological suspense novels with Karen Clarke.

What kind of books do you write?

All my novels are dark, twisty, and creepy. My main character is always a woman, often with issues to resolve in her present-day life and something in the past that puts her in danger in the present. A final twist that will hopefully surprise the reader is a must in my novels. 

Can you describe your writing why?

I have loved writing since I was a child, but it was only after a serious car crash that I decided if I was going to attempt to write a novel the time had to be now.

I find writing therapeutic and love the process of the first draft where I get to know my characters. 

However, some days my writing mojo vanishes, or the thought of structural edits feels daunting, and those are the times that my writer friends motivate me. Without the support and friendship of other writers, who have shared my ups and downs and I theirs, I would never have written seven novels.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

The Island House is mainly seen through a young woman called Alice’s eyes, but it also shines a light on a handful of other characters, one being a child called Tiger, who I absolutely loved writing. 

‘I can’t hear anything, sweetie,’ Aunt Verity says, bending down and stroking my cheek. She says this every time I ask her about the tap, tap, tap. ‘You’re imagining things again, Tiger. You have a good imagination, just like your daddy.’ 

I like it when she says I’m like my daddy. 

Maybe it’s the puppets in the attic, I nearly say. But I know I can’t say that because Aunt Verity doesn’t know I go up there to see my puppet friends, and, if she did, she might be cross, and take away the key. 

The noise gets louder. Why can’t she hear it? 

‘Dinner will be ready in an hour, darling.’ She leaves the room with a wave. ‘I’m going to have a little drink now.’ 

Tap, tap, tap. 

Tell us about your latest project

The Island House is a psychological crime thriller with a gothic theme. It’s been described at Agatha Christie meets Stephen King, and is out now in ebook, paperback, and audiobook. 

A DARK FAMILY SECRET
When Alice’s father dies after a tragic hit and run, his death stirs up unanswered questions about her childhood. Who was her mother, why did her father never speak of the past, and why can’t she remember anything before the age of seven?
AN ISLAND CUT OFF
But when she receives an anonymous letter containing a photograph of a refurbished gothic guesthouse surrounded by water, and an invitation to stay, old memories fight to resurface.
Alice has visited before. She is certain of it.
WHO WILL SURVIVE?
Convinced the clues to her past lie at the hotel, she checks in. But once on the island, a wild storm rages, waves crash violently into the rocks, and the house is cut off by the roaring sea.
Then two guests are found dead. And the hotel owner is missing. Will Alice ever uncover her secret past?
And will anyone leave the island alive?


What is your favourite cake?

Red velvet – I eat far too much of it!


You can connect with Amanda here:

Twitter: @amandajbrittany
Instagram: @amanda_brittany_author

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Olivia Charles. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment