Wednesday 9 March 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Keith Guernsey

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Keith Guernsey.

Keith D. Guernsey is retired after a 40-year career in sales and sales management with Data General, Cahners Publishing, Motorola, and Comcast. He lives on Lake Lanier with his wife Susan and his four-footed adopted daughter Zoey. He is the author of four popular, successful books. He is a 1976 graduate of Framingham State University. He has just been appointed as a Myeloma Coach. He enjoys reading, writing, and traveling with his family.

What kind of books do you write?

I have written four non-fiction books. Confessions of a Beantown Sports Junkie - A fun, light-hearted trip down memory lane. My experiences as a player, coach, and avid fan of all Boston sports. Confessions is a story of my recovery from two rounds of life-threatening brain surgeries to play on three championship softball teams in two states. It is also a story of love and devotion between a son and his father. Fathers and Sons-Sports and Life - A story of an uncommon love and devotion between fathers and sons. It is a story of my recovery from two rounds of life-threatening brain surgeries to play on three championship softball teams in two states. It includes a chapter on the most controversial sports topic of our time; Deflategate. Fathers… is also a sequel to Confessions of a Beantown Sports Junkie. Overcoming the Odds is my story of triumphs over cancer life-threatening brain surgery-twice and morbid obesity! On the Road to Remission is about my year and a half battle with Multiple Myeloma.


Can you describe your writing why?

To leave a legacy for my grandsons and as therapy while I beat cancer (which I have done three times!)

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Walking into the BMT  waiting room was like walking into a room of gloom.  The room was full of my fellow cancer patients. Everyone had a dour expression on their face, behind the masks we were required to wear.  We all sat around waiting to be called for our blood work and you could just about hear a pin drop.

It was a privilege to provide some comic relief, albeit unintentionally. You see I had lost another 30 pounds and my clothes were getting very baggy. I heard my name called and jumped right up. As I went up my d$m shorts went down and everyone doubled over with laughter.  I quickly pulled them up but the damage was done! Susan said it truly was hysterical - yours truly not so much. Fortunately there wasn't enough time for anyone to pull out their phone and film this faux pas. When I went back, the nurse said my BP was extremely high and she asked if there was a reason for that. I explained what had happened and she did her very best not to laugh. But I'm certain that at the next coffee or lunch break she told this story to all her fellow doctors and nurses and they had a good chuckle. 

After slinking embarrassingly out of the office, I went back to the hotel where we were staying to find my belt.

Suffice to say, I have worn it every day since.

Taken from On the Road to Remission.

Tell us about your latest project

I'm writing a short story about my "Bluto" Blutarsky days!

What is your favourite cake?

My wife Susan's delicious homemade chocolate chip cake!


You can find all of Keith's books here: http://tinyurl.com/y6ut57ms

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Jess Kitching. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment