Monday 15 March 2021

When It All Goes Wrong

Life seems to enjoy going wrong. Whenever you think you've got your ducks in a row, do not get complacent! Things will start cocking up. It's almost best to not think about things going well to be honest. You don't want to jinx it. Let me give you an example.

If you've been following my author news and wotnot, you'll know that I'm currently recording - or at least attempting to record - my very first audiobook. 

First I paid for a course and took notes on what mic to buy. I got the wrong one. And an unnecessary mixing deck. I also got the wrong mic stand - twice. Fast forward a couple of months and I have rectified my costly mistake with the purchasing of an even more expensive mic. And constructed a semi-sound booth in my bedroom. All seems well at this point.

However, my laptop wouldn't recognise the mic. Then my recording program wouldn't recognise my mic. Then the recording program wouldn't work with my mic. Then there were weird knocking noises in the background. And the nine chapters I'd recorded were no good. Turns out I hadn't quite bought all the equipment I needed. Another fifty quid in the hole and I've got a fancy shock mount and am about ready to throw the whole lot in the bin. 

Recording can finally begin. Frustration levels are high. No double-glazing means external noises are a problem, hence my little recording nook in the bedroom. But noisy children means recording has to happen in the evening, pausing for supermarket vans, fast food and Amazon deliveries, cars parking and emergency sirens. 

All the recording gods seemed to have aligned and progress can be made. Then my new neighbours moved in. They're not as quiet as the old ones. We've had one or two noisy nights, a blip not a natural state I hope but it certainly felt like it had all gone wrong again. 

I push forward with caution. There's still plenty of time for calamity. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment