Wednesday 3 March 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Rachel Ford

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with Rachel Ford.

Award-winning author Rachel Ford is a software engineer by day, and a writer most of the rest of the time. She is a Trekkie, a video-gamer, and a dog parent, owned by a Great Pyrenees named Elim Garak and a mutt of many kinds named Fox (for the inspired reason that he looks like a fox).

What kind of stories do you write?

I love creating complex worlds with deep mythologies and lots of fantasy races. I enjoy writing about worlds where jötnar, elves, dwarves, mortals and dragons co-exist – though not always well, of course. And my fantasy novels have to include a dash of magic, a bit of mischief, a sprinkling of mayhem and a touch of mystery. 

Can you describe your writing why?

I’ve dreamt up stories ever since I was a kid, and I’ve always loved telling them. Writing allows me to tell them to people all over the world. Which is basically a dream come true.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

In a way, it looked like a typical day for the season. The area lay under a heavy blanket that, at a glance, could have been fog. Sleet beat down on the earth, and the wind howled and raged. It could have just been the first real storm of the season rolling in.

It wasn’t. It was part first storm, and part murder and mayhem. Which was a first, alright – a first for me as knight of the shire. But not the first time our shire had seen this, or even the Callaghan keep. There was a reason my ancestors had built elven magic into these walls. They’d fought dragons. They’d seen fields covered in dragon smoke so thick it looked like fog.

But I hadn’t. South and North had been at peace longer than I’d been alive. Except now we weren’t. Now, as of a few hours ago, we were at war.

Excerpt from High Protector, book three of my Knight Protector series.

Tell us about your latest project

My latest project is a GameLit series, Beta Tester. Jack Owens, the protagonist, is trapped inside a fantasy RPG. I love this series because it combines all the excitement, the high stakes, and the adventure of epic fantasy with the endearing quirks and addictiveness of a videogame. Along with the angry dragons, wicked goblins, deceitful magicians, Jack must also contend with annoying NPC’s, untimely bugs, and useless companions. It’s been a pleasure to write. 

And, of course, my “research” (playing my favorite RPG’s…) is a nice perk, too.

What is your favourite cake?

Ohh, this is tough. I suppose I would have to say pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting (although a turtle cake – rich chocolate, sweet caramel, and roasted pecans – is a very close second). Hmm…now I want cake. 


They both sound lovely! You can connect with Rachel on Facebook: facebook.com/rachelfordauthor
and all her books are on Amazon.

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Sherry Perkins. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment