Tuesday 30 June 2020

Tuesday Poem - Head Aches

I've got the headaches
Is it my brain?
Stress? No sugar?
Too much sugar?
Is worrying about what it is making it worse?
Man alive
I've got the headches

It's pulsing and burning and zinging like mad
Sitting heavy over my eyes
Making them want to close down in darkness
It's in my ears, down my neck, across my jaw

I could need sleep, I could need tea
It might be chocolate or some yoga
A few deep breathes, a cold flannel
Maybe a massage, turn off the lights
An early night and no 5am wake up
A tick on every to-do box - ha!
That one will never happen

It's settling in now, taking root
The headaches have got their claws into me
It will squat like a pain toad 
Not letting up, not letting go

I've got the headaches...


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment