Monday 8 June 2020

Books read in May

Barefoot on the Beach by Katlyn Duncan - 3 stars

Recap: Renee's younger sister is getting married and dumps all the organising on Renee's plate. Then her first love reappears and she doesn't know what to do about it.

Review: I liked the ending and the misunderstanding. I thought the sister relationship and dynamic was great and the sister's friends were portrayed well. Renee came over a bit odd - we kept being told she was so organised and OCD and no fun and then we'd get that she was massively promiscuous and she dropped all her plans just like that so it was hard for me to reconcile that. Dialogue was good and the slow burn between Luc and Renee worked. I came away thinking yeah, that was alright.





The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George - 5 stars

Recap: Jean Perdu runs a literary apothecary and senses which book will heal the troubled souls of his varied customers.

Review: There's so much pain in this book and it's healed by stories, food and nature. A wonderfully eccentric novel with such a charming Frenchness to it that I want to rush to book my own French river cruise trip in the hopes that I will meet Salvo and Samy, Max and Jean. This is a grief-story not a love story which is why the romance is so powerful. You will come away with tears and fondness.

Imogen's Secret by B Fleetwood

Recap: Imogen can see emotional colours and knows she different but she has no clue just how different.

Review: I found the double names confusing at times and the need for that secret brother seems to just add unnecessary complication at the moment but I'm hoping that will resolve in the next book. I liked Imogen, she was personable with realistic emotional responses. I hope her mum get a bit more stage time in book two, crazy people are fun to read lol. There's the predictable love triangle and some secondary characters which will hopefully return, I liked the autistic lad. There's a bit of POV head-hopping which I wouldn't normally be thrown by but I'm currently writing/editing myself so it stood out. An enjoyable book one, let's see what happens in book two!


No comments:

Post a Comment