Wednesday 3 June 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Christian Warren Freed

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Christian Warren Freed. 

Christian W. Freed was born in Buffalo, New York more years ago than he cares to remember. After serving a full career in the United States Army that took him around the world (several times), he retired to the suburbs of Raleigh, North Carolina where he lives with his wife, their children, and his two Bernese Mountain Dogs. A connoisseur of fine hand-rolled cigars and even better whiskey, he spends his days crafting his next novel.

What kind of stories do you write?

I have always been drawn to sweeping epics involving massive armies, complex plots, and an enormous cast of characters. I started out with heavy influences from Tolkien (duh), Terry Brooks, and Dennis L. McKiernan. Then in the 90s, the world changed. Robert Jordan emerged, followed by George RR Martin and my all-time favorite influencer, Steven Erickson. His Malazan Book of the Fallen series is my biggest influence and a total redirection for my work. Gone are the elves and dwarves. In are complex worlds with new magic systems, new races, and still the sprawling armies. 

Can you describe your writing why?

Beats me why! I figure I’ll go crazy if I don’t get these thoughts and stories out of my head. My uncle is a famous author and historian. I started writing early but joined the Army and put it on the back burner. It wasn’t until I was nearing the end of my career that I decided to make it a go. I wrote a few books while deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and the train took off. Now, with almost 25 books out, I find my greatest joy or motivation is seeing a complete stranger comment on how they like/love my books. Totally humbling!

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most


The Bloody Man stood in crimson splendor. A miracle of the impossible. He had continuously bled for over a thousand years after flensing his body of flesh to protest the ignorance of his two brothers. A massive twelve foot sculpture of madness. Ever the youngest, Sorrow wept for better days. 

 Ah’muf dropped to his knees and bowed low. “My lord, Sorrow.”

Eliza’s reaction was different. Old memories returned upon seeing him again. She knew he was the architect of all the wrongs in her life, shaping her direction from early childhood. No memory was stronger, for a pain so grave never fades, as seeing the blood covered giant slaughter everyone in her village. Equally confusing was his apology thereafter. 

“Bloody Man,” she ground out. “I assumed you had abandoned me again.”

He cocked his head and studied her with thoughtful expression. “I do not know why I chose you those many years ago. Like so many of your kind you lack the patience to wait for matters to unfold, thus limiting your ability to foresee the future unfold. A shame. You hold so much potential.”

Under Tattered Banners - A Forgotten Gods Tale #5.


Tell us about your latest project

I’m going all out with this one. It’s not my latest book, but the beginning of a massive adventure I’m only halfway through. It’s called Dreams of Winter: A Forgotten Gods Tale #1. The story is complex but the gist is humanity has taken control of the universe in the absence of the gods. 3000 years after a civil war that destroyed the gods the 700 worlds in the universe are governed by the Conclave and its Cardinals. They are supported by the militaristic Prekhauten Guards and enforced by the Inquisition. The story takes off with the escape of the most dangerous villain in history- the wicked son of the king of the gods- and it sets the stage for the opening rounds of a civil war. I am currently working on book 5 of a planned 9 in the series. Each one comes out between 600-700 pages and it unlike anything I have ever done.

What is your favourite cake?

I’m more of a pie kind of guy, but I get down with a good slice of red velvet or German chocolate. 


Thanks, Christian - I always count a sweet pie as cake lol. You can connect with Christian and find out more about his books here:


Join me next week when Tim Walker returns!

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!  


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment