Monday 9 March 2020

Books Read in February 2020

21 Days of Putting On Your Positivity Pants by Victoria Brown - 3 stars

A simple, straightforward guide to being more positive made humorous by talking about pants lol. But it was interesting and I'm taking lots of pants under advisement. I agree with the creation of this book - for those positivity pants on! It was a little short, I'd have liked more research, more success stories and less buy these motivational posters online. But I get the sales tactic. It'll certainly get you thinking in the right direction.

30 Days Stream of Consciousness: Abduction by L.E. Moebius - 4 stars

A short novella from the POV of the alien in an alien abduction story making it a unique read. I enjoyed how the alien's empathy grew towards the subject and felt so sad for the human's ordeal.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde - 5 stars

Recap: there's a mixup with Ernest's lol

Review: I thoroughly enjoyed this. I do like reading a play from time to time. All the action dealt with in dialogue, no descriptive narrative. And this play is funny, still funny today. I never saw the film but I think I may, just to see what they did with it. And because I need to hear the handbag line!

Predictive by L.V. Lane - 4 stars

At first, I didn't warm up to predictive Eva but that's the beauty of this book, you get sucked into the characters and have to know what happens next. There are some nice touches to the world-building that bring it away from our societal rules. The characters are unique, the symbiont tattoo is intriguing and the bed-hopping a little salacious! Hoping this is the first in a series rather than a standalone, there's a lot of scope for future reveals, disasters and adventures.

The Mortal Word by Genevieve Cogman - 4 stars

Recap: Irene, Vale and Kai are drawn into peace negotiations between dragons and fae.

Review: I enjoyed the mixture of known and new characters. The Blood Countess was suitably scary and the fae and dragons were both represented marvellously. Kai and Irene are still hanging on together which is nice but I kinda want her to get lost in Lord Silver. There's intrigue and plots twists but it's not overly complex which is a good thing and there's a neat setup for the next book.

Sam Nero PI by Jane Jago - 4 stars 

Recap: A series of cases for P.I Sam Nero and his receptionist Sugar Kane.

Review: Loved the hardboiled noir feel to the books and characters. Real gangsters and family and money with some android and hologram technology thrown in. All the women looked fabulous and were able to ooze sexuality but that fits with the genre. I really liked the twins and there is so much world-building I foresee lots more cases.

Abnormal by AJ Mullican - 3 stars

** spoiler alert ** Recap: Clare is an abnormal who gets found out and has to go on the run.

Review: fast-paced dystopian futuristic story full of depraved sickos. I didn't mind the bed-hopping, each to their own and the sex scenes weren't full of cringeworthy cliches. I was disappointed that the entire plot was for nothing as Clare ended up captured in the end and we never learn why she is important. Is this the first in a series?? There were hints that Eli knew more but again we never found out. It would've made a good cliffhanger. at times the relationship stuff seemed forced and unrealistic whereas at other times it was spot on. I'd read book two to find out what happens next, if it exists?

No comments:

Post a Comment