Wednesday 11 March 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Ann Duggans Robson

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Ann Duggans Robson.

Ann Duggans Robson has written a series of books collectively called 'The Pinkmouse Gang'. Ann taught English and History in Comprehensive schools for twenty years and now works as an artist and writer of children's books. She has a B.A,(hons) in fine art and has studied literature with the Open University. She is learning French with an adult education class at the moment.

She has four children, nine grandchildren, two dogs and a very helpful and supportive husband.

She writes in verse and paints the pictures then manipulates them in a computer to create the finished book. The process is all her own. She has sculpted full-size models of the main characters and knits the other characters sometimes in enormous sizes for the delight of her young readers at storytelling in schools, bookshops and art galleries.

What kind of stories do you write?

My books are written in rhyme and full of my brightly coloured watercolour paintings of the anthropomorphic mouse characters and their adventures. They usually are based on true events and the family and friends I know-heavily disguised. 

They are about family life, travel, hobbies, adventures and some naughtiness.

I include a DVD where I read the story whilst showing the paintings and little vignettes of me chatting to the audience. I show the knitted characters and sculptures. 



Can you describe your writing why?

I don’t know really –I’ve done it since I could write –it has got me into trouble especially at school! I love the playing with rhyme and rhythm also the need to entertain without making a show of myself. To make something physical out of an abstract. To describe my life and events I think. The need to record feelings and opinion and events in case memory is lost. I love to create a little book. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

From Pinkmouse Bliss where they get married

So with help from birds and bees
And friends, some wet, some prickly
They promised to love forever
And when old and broke and sickly.

They settled down to married bliss
For cuddles snoozes and a tickle
But time had come or a change
For ladies can be fickle.

With blue eyes burning bright
Pamela to Percy said
‘The time has come for little mice
So no more time in bed!’


Tell us about your latest project

My latest book is the seventh in the series The Pinkmouse Gang. The children born of Percy and Pamela Pinkmouse need looking after and they are pests! New characters are introduced –twins born to the Scruffs - the residents of the house.

Again there is a DVD but only for windows this time - in the back of the book there is a quiz, colouring and puzzle page.

What is your favourite cake?

Christmas cake.


You can keep up to date with Ann and the Pinkmouse Gang on Facebook and at her website

Join me next week when I'm joined by Dodie Hamilton. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round! 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop


1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for haring your generous slice of cake with me. well done Claire. x

    ReplyDelete