Wednesday 4 March 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Eric Klein

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Eric Klein.

Eric is a lifelong science fiction and fantasy reader but has always enjoyed those stories that show how the science and technology can affect people’s lives. By day he works in hi-tech, lecturing and writing on telecom security (at the hardware level, not about the people who use phones to commit fraud).

Eric has done quite a bit of travel for fun and business and has included events in the story that are based on his own experiences. 

As mentioned in the acknowledgements section, Eric is married to a wonderful (and tolerant) scientist who had two great children when they met. Now he is the grandfather to her daughter’s son (Grandparenting is wonderful.) and his grandson makes an appearance in the story, too (you can guess as whom).

What kind of stories do you write?

I write what is considered hard science fiction, why is it hard? Because I am constrained to what is know to be real science, with only a little extrapolation (which is hard as they keep passing my tech in real life).

Can you describe your writing why?

Actually, there is a specific reason for my first book and a general reason for all my writing. The first book came to me in a rather vivid dream – repeating every night for a week, until I wrote it down. Ended up being almost 5 chapters just to get it out of my head. But more generally, I am writing to point towards the kind of future I would like to leave for my grandkids. Showing what is possible and a little of how we can get there. Kind of like what Star Trek (TOS) did for me when I was very young. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Start of Chapter 8:
Slowly waking, I realize that I am doubly constrained. First by the head on my shoulder, a rather pleasant restraint. And secondly, it felt like something was strangling me. After the attempts on the captain, I start to panic. Opening my eyes, I see that there is no one standing over me, and after shifting a little I notice my free arm is still encased in black cloth. Apparently, I had fallen asleep still wearing formal wear and it was only the tie that was trying to strangle me.
I try to move without waking her, but Fay opens her eyes and says, “And just where do you think you are going?” “To the refresher and to remove this tie.”



Tell us about your latest project

So far, I only have the one book published. The sequel is in the works, and trying to keep the politics and being sensitive to a religion I am not part of are taking a lot of effort. So, I would have to say at this time it is still The One: A Cruise Through the Solar System. The story of a computer trouble shooter that wins a cruise. It comes complete with a beauty pageant, science workshop, and space pirates. All while showing the various places we can colonize. 

What is your favourite cake?

Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Cake served with a glass of old vine Zinfandel.


You can keep in touch with Eric all over social media:

Facebook
GoodReads  

Join me next week when I'm joined by Ann Duggins Robson. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here

I'd be delighted to have you. You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment