Wednesday 22 January 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Rik Ty

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Rik Ty.

Rik was a cartoonist, a toy designer, and a toy design manager. Rik is married, has two daughters, one son-in-law, and a full slate of nieces and nephews. He drinks coffee and paces the kitchen a lot.

What kind of stories do you write?

I write stories of interdimensional crisis control, featuring a team of recurring characters, nick-named the Thrill Kings by their youngest member, Nonstop (a test driver of interdimensional motorcycles).

Can you describe your writing why?

I spent a BUNCH of years illustrating, writing, and designing for companies like Marvel Comics, Cracked Magazine and Toys R Us here in the states (I’m in New York). I want to bring at least ONE idea of mine out into the world, and stick with it until it succeeds.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Well, I like them all, but here is clip that is fun. It is from Thrill Kings: The Shaftway.

Now, on the other side of the pallets, he could see the critter, well, the dust trail the little guy was making anyway, and yes, far up the moonlit road, pretty close to the hulking factory, the little guy was running straight for the shadowed interior beyond the broken masonry.

Nonstop revved and drew nearer. The Inter-D looked like a bath mat, like a bath-mat-CAKE, or a brownie, or a cake-loaf, or something else that was low and thick with a top-coating of acorns. He guessed its sustained speed to be about seven miles an hour, which, in his opinion, was respectable for a rectangle.


Tell us about your latest project

Truthfully, my latest project has been taking a stab at Amazon sponsored ads. I’ve been learning how to do them. One piece of advice I encountered was to have as many formats available as you can before you advertise. I have 5 ebooks out, so I spent some time turning them into interesting paperbacks. I’m a few days in on my first campaign, and so far, my results tell me I have a lot to learn. The books are cool and different. They will break through sooner or later.

What is your favourite cake?

Wow, just about any. No cake? I’ll slap peanut butter on a stale biscuit. Hmm, recently, we had a birthday cake that was a giant version of a rainbow cookie (the ones with the chocolate tops, and the almond extract). That was fun. My brother once made a crumbled chocolate birthday cake with gummy worms for his son. That was also fun - we ate it in the park, next to the actual dirt. Thanks for letting me play Claire!


You can find all of Rik's books on Amazon.

Join me next week when I will be chatting with Nikki Moyes.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I also enjoy coffee and pacing in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete