Wednesday 29 January 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Nikki Moyes

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Nikki Moyes.

Nikki writes YA fiction and her first book, If I Wake was published in 2016. She was born in Victoria and has moved around Australia amassing an eclectic range of occupations including tallship watch leader, apiarist, rose farm hand, and sandwich artist. She lives with her cat and is thinking about getting him a friend. In her spare time she learns tissu, static trapeze, and aerial hoop (she couldn’t decide on one) in case she needs to run off and join the circus.

What kind of stories do you write?

I write books to make people think. My first published book If I Wake was written to start a conversation about bullying, depression and suicide. My latest book, The Keeper looks at our relationship with reality TV and how there is nothing real about it. The series also covers gender stereotypes and equality.


I want readers to feel, and my books are suitable for readers age 14+.

Can you describe your writing why?

I write because I have stories in my head and I need to know what happens. As the saying goes, if you can’t find the book you want then go write it. Writing is hard – I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have to! 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I’ve had a lot of fun writing the Suri Series. This is an early scene from the prequel The Destroyer:

I blow through a give way sign onto the main highway. An approaching vehicle gives an automated near-collision warning tone as it brakes to avoid my bike. The two guard bikes come to a stop blocked by the now stationary vehicle while the drivers attempt to receive permission to switch to manual controls.
 “What’s that beeping sound?” The boy clings to me as I weave through traffic.
“It’s the excessive speed alarm. My father believes men are superior to women –”
“Shouldn’t you do something about it?” His voice takes on a high-pitched quality.
“There’s a mute function, I just haven’t installed it yet.” I make a sharp right turn across traffic and he grips my waist tighter.

Tell us about your latest project

The Keeper is a fun sci-fi/fantasy story about a 17 yr-old girl, Cassie, who is forced to participate in a Bachelorette-style program with extreme challenges for the contestants. Cassie’s crush, Dennian, tricks his way onto the program, but he has a lot of secrets he’s trying to hide such as why he is afraid of the Keeper of the Dragon Temple. Dragons haven’t been seen for a couple of millennia, but the temple provides visions to the Keeper who acts as the chief advisor to the Governor of the Universe.
So we have Cassie trying to survive the reality program, Dennian trying to keep his secrets, and a political drama playing out in the background as the Governor of the Universe prepares for the prophesied end of the world.



What is your favourite cake?

Chocolate – preferably something moist like a mud cake. Actually, I’ll eat just about any cake…


Thanks, Nikki! A great choice of cake. You can keep up to date with Nikki's writing at her website, Facebook page and Instagram.

Join me next week when I will be chatting with Laura Mae.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment