Monday 5 September 2022

How's the writing going?

"How's the writing going?" I have been asked this question a lot lately and my response has been pure teenager. In short, a shrug. 

Because it hasn't been going. Not for a long time. And I can't really put my finger on the why but I do feel ashamed everytime I get asked the question. I am a writer who hasn't been writing much this year and if I'm not writing then how am I a writer? And how can I answer that question with "It's not" and look them in the eye without feeling embarrassed?

For me, writing in the pandemic wasn't a problem - even with homeschool and the headache that was. It was the afterwards, the 'new normal', the bit where we all went back to how things were - more or less - and that's when the bottom fell out of my writing world.

It's quite normal for me, and a lot of other writers I'm sure, to doubt the validity of my writing. This usually happens two thirds of the way through my book, around a month or two before I decide the book is ready to be read by others. I moaned to my hubby last night about my current book and he made this observation which, whilst amusing, it's factually incorrect this time. I am definitely not two-thirds of the way through. In some ways, I feel like I haven't even started writing it. 

Today my kids go back to school. It is the start of their new year and hence the start of mine. At least that's what I have decided. I bought a desk - very exciting. I factory reset an old laptop - very scary (not sure why lol) so that I can work on two screens. Oh yes, I'm a two screen writer now. And as it's the beginning of the month, I can start with scheduling my social media for the month. 

This is something I've more or less stayed on top of. I share motivational quotes and giveaways as well as promo images of various books. I look at this as more of a "Hey, still here!" gesture rather than active marketing. It's been good because it's kept my social media presence alive, but it's also been a bit of a crutch, as I'm not being as active or engaged as I should be. 

Here I am, at my desk, Monday to Friday, 9-2. At least that's the plan. Baring disasters. Haha. 

Let's get this writing going! And then maybe I'll have something to say about it. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment