Wednesday 14 September 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Karen Osman

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with Karen Osman. 

Karen Osman is a best-selling novelist and writing coach. Following her win at the Emirates Airline Festival of Literature Montegrappa Novel Writing Award 2016 with her crime-thriller novel, The Good Mother, renowned literary agent, Luigi Bonomi of LBA Books, secured a three-book deal with UK-based publishing house Head of Zeus.
 
Since then, The Good Mother, which was published in October 2017 and her second novel, The Home (September 2018), were both number one bestsellers. Her third book, The Perfect Lie, was published in August 2019 and she is currently working on her fourth novel. 

In July 2020, Karen launched her signature online writing course, Kick Start Your Book With Karen, designed for budding authors to help write their books.  She also offers a six-month one-to-one coaching programme. 
 
In January 2019, Karen launched Karen’s Book Club, a free online book club where she shares reading recommendations, giveaways, and a behind-the-scenes look into her author life. 


What kind of books do you write?

Hello! I’m a novelist and I write stories about ordinary people who never thought they would have the capacity to kill someone. I’ve written three novels and each one has strong themes of motherhood, revenge, and deception. The books are standalone and set in the United Kingdom where I’m from. My readers tend to be people who love page-turning, psychological thrillers. 

Can you describe your writing why?

This is always a difficult question for me as I don’t have a specific motivation; it’s just something I’ve always done, like brushing my teeth in the morning! Saying that, I believe books have a powerful influence on society and as a writer, nothing gives me greater joy than hearing a reader was able to relax and escape daily life with a good book. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is an extract from my second novel, The Home

Prologue
Thursday 30 November 1989
It was the smell that got me. They never tell you about that in training: how it gets under your skin. The lads at the station told me I was lucky to get such a case on my first day in CID. Once I’d finished vomiting in the nearby bushes, I didn’t feel very lucky, I can tell you. After seeing the Jane Doe – or what was left of her, at any rate – I would have given anything to be back in uniform, working the traffic. The body must have been there since Bonfire Night, the people lighting the fire unaware of what lay beneath. I can only hope that she was dead before she was dumped. The body was so burnt there would be no chance of identification. You could almost imagine she wasn’t human if not for the long strands of brown hair that lay as dead as their owner. But one thing survived the fire: a silver bracelet on the right wrist, its single chain home to a tiny hummingbird charm. I bagged it up, knowing even then that my first investigation was destined for the cold case pile. 



Tell us about your latest project

My latest novel is called The Perfect Lie. It’s a story about Claire, who leads a charmed life with her two beautiful sons and successful husband. Even when she was in school, Claire had it all. She was clever, likable, and after passing the initiation tests, she was welcomed into the society of popular girls – The Queen Bees. So, when a scandal threatened to ruin Claire's reputation, the Queen Bees closed rank to protect her, no matter who else got hurt. Claire may have moved on from her school days, but for one person who she hurt irreparably, those memories are as fresh as blood. And all it takes to reap their revenge, is one perfect lie. 



What is your favourite cake?

More of a pudding than a cake, but I love sticky toffee pudding and custard! 


You can connect with Karen here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Myra Duffy. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

1 comment: