Wednesday 4 August 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Mark Minson

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author Mark Minson.

Mark lives in Salt Lake City, Utah. He enjoys playing games with his wife and five kids. He loves to sing and can often be found whistling as he walks. An avid shoe-wearer, you might run into him strolling down memory lane - either his or somebody else’s.

He brings humor to life through his many accents and movie quotes. He found his magic long ago, in a high school far, far away and now happily shares it with you. May you find your magic and share it with others.

What kind of books do you write?

I write books about victims of bullying, love, and magic. I didn’t consciously sit down and choose those themes, but they are strong ones from my youth. As a hopeful romantic, I find love to be a powerful motivator. I revel in the possibilities of magic in many different forms.

Can you describe your writing why?

I start writing because an idea hits me, sometimes a page of a story or just an over-arching idea. Most of my writing begins in my head and I have to grab something to write it down. After that, I need a goal, a reason to keep writing. With my first novel, I wanted to finish an actual book. Then I had people who wanted book 2 of the series. Finally, I knew that I would sell more of my books if the series was finished. Now I’m writing for Dave Farland’s class. I’m also trying to finish my next novel to prove to myself that I’m not a one series wonder.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

That’s like asking which of my children is my favourite. I’ve recently edited my short story called Dragon Bond (Honorable Mention in the Writers of the Future contest), and this scene still makes me smile.

”Huth had peed his pants. Not when he realized the yellow eyes belonged to a dragon the size of two horses, no, he’d just screamed like a girl and run. Not when the medallion had glowed and burned on his chest, humming like rolling thunder inside him causing him to stop. Not even when he turned around, almost against his will, because the medallion called to the dragon. But instantly when the dragon’s mouth opened sending orange and yellow fire to engulf him.
 
He’d shut his eyes tight hoping for a quick death. Instead, warm water washed over him like standing under a small waterfall but comfortable, cleansing. He didn’t dare open his eyes until it stopped. Did heaven feel like a warm shower? 

After it ended, charred ground surrounded him in the enlarged clearing, and he had wet pants. The enormous beast collapsed. The circle of scorched earth included part of the stream leaving vaporized water hanging heavy in the air.”

Tell us about your latest project

My current novel is called Severed. My goal is to release it this year. I’m writing the falling action and loving the story. 

“The Magi fought alongside soldiers during the goblin wars. But a jealous king forced them to lose their ability to cast magic or lose their lives. The goblins, once thought extinct have returned and Derrit and Plimeria, two outcasts and fledgling mages, may be the only chance for saving humankind.”
I also want to release a collection of short stories this year so Dragon Bond will be available to read in its entirety. 

What is your favourite cake?

My favourite cake was made by a master in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Two layers of chocolate cake sandwich a layer of marionberry cheesecake and the whole cake is coated with a thick layer of milk chocolate. But since you can’t get that anymore, the big chocolate cake from Costco.


Connect with Mark Minson here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Joe Malik. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment