Wednesday 18 August 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Stephen Oliver

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Stephen Oliver.

Stephen is an ex-software engineer who spent many years of his life programming computers to make people's lives better. He has since also begun writing self-help and fiction (primarily science fiction, space opera, fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal, magical realism, horror, fairy tales, fairy stories, slipstream, interstitial, noir, detective fiction, action, thriller, humour, YA, and children's stories) and has achieved over 1.15 million words in the past eight years.

What kind of books do you write?

I write stories about the weird and wonderful narrative universe I've created, full of strange creatures, scientific marvels, and dark monsters. Many of my main characters are outsiders of some kind.

Can you describe your writing why?

I love to tell stories about the odd and the strange. I've been an SFF fan for over 50 years, and I feel I have many unusual tales of my own to tell (6 novels, 1 completed and 4 WIPs), plus 8 anthologies (4 completed, 4 WIPs; covering over 180 short stories and novellas).


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is not necessarily my favourite because there are so many. However, it is the latest favourite thing I've written. I completed the story two days ago.

He was the greatest visio-musician of his age.
She was a rank beginner.
He was the consummate master, beloved by all.
She was unknown, even to her contemporaries.
He was old and fading.
She crackled with youth and vitality.
He recreated all his best works, again and again. Precisely the same, every time.
She brimmed with new energies of creation, raw and edgy.
He wanted peace.
She wanted to kill him.
He was already dead.

Tell us about your latest project

My latest project concerns the novels and anthologies I've written in my narrative universe. I'm in the process of submitting the first of them (a novel titled Shuttlers and the first anthology of the series title Paranormal City) to publishers and agents alike. I've sent out 318 submissions since the beginning of the year and 9 of my short stories have already been accepted for publication in magazines and anthologies. Two more were published last year.

What is your favourite cake?

Swiss Carrot Cake


You can connect with Stephen here:

Self-help blog: www.stephenoliverblog.com
Twitter: @AuthorStephenO

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Daniele Kasper. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment