Tuesday 24 August 2021

Tuesday poem - Bad Back Strikes Again

Old injuries hang over my head
They taunt me every time I get into bed
I hear a whisper now and then
A faint alarm whenever I bend

When they don't flare for a good long while
I jaunt around with a great big smile
And just when I think all is well
My back injury takes me to hell

Can't stand
Can't sit
Can't walk
Can't lie

Pain in my legs, pain in my arms
Pain setting off all my internal alarms
Making me gasp, making me cry
Making me curl up and ask why oh why

I didn't do anything crazy or mad
But my body is punishing me for being bad
I've kept moving every day all the time
Walking, daily yoga, doing just fine

And then one day, I get in the shower
Ordinary, daily, one with a smidge of power
Suddenly it hurts, it hurts so much
Can't even breathe, can't even touch

Laid up now for four days straight
Is this a twisted plan from fate?
Forcing me to sit still and cope
Waking each day with small hope

Eases off then comes back in waves
Hoping this time it doesn't last for days
Trying to keep busy, working on my book
Curled up in my squishy sofa nook

Hot water bottle, block of ice
Eating everything that tastes nice
Drinking lots of cups of tea
Regretting it every time I have to go pee

Rebooking all the appointments I made
Just waiting now for the agony to fade
Feeling bad for the kids locked in with me
When I'm barely able to cook their tea

Letting them have much more screen time 
Telling myself that for now, it's fine
It won't be forever, soon I'll be able to move
Then I'll be back in my supermum groove



Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment