Thursday 3 December 2020

Books Read in November 2020


The Little Christmas Shop on Nutcracker Lane by Jaimie Admans - 5 stars

Recap: Nia makes a wish to the magical nutcracker on Nutcracker Lane for her very own Prince Charming.

Review: Lovely. Absolutely lovely story. I twigged who James was very early on but that just made it even better. A wonderful love story at Christmas, it had me tearing up, grinning goofily, fuming with anger and going all soppy. I think I may have to read this every year.





The Just City by Jo Walton - 4 stars

Recap: Apollo & Athene create Plato's Just City.

Review: I haven't read Plato but I don't feel like that was a disadvantage per se, the philosophy was explained well enough. I enjoyed the story and read it with rising horror at how things were set up and followed through. I liked the different character chapters and felt for poor Simmea after she gave birth and descended into postpartum depression. The ending was a little unfinished but I see this is book 1 so hopefully book 2 will explore the fallout. 



Three Women by Lisa Taddeo - 3 stars

Recap: the book follows the sex lives of three women in the US.

Review: at times interesting, at times shocking. Three women in a sea of women are singled out to tell their sexual history. I feel the men in two of the stories got a bit of a rough deal whilst in Maggie's story he should've paid. How much truth, how much fiction - not sure, but don't assume all women have these kinds of sexual stories to tell! Life is both more boring and more bizarre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment