Wednesday 23 December 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Sonnet O'Dell

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Sonnet O'Dell.

Sonnet was born at the John Radcliffe in Oxford and spent many years living in different spots all over the UK.

Sonnet now live in Worcester, Worcestershire, home of Lea & Perrins and the site of the last battler of the Civil War. Sonnet enjoys nothing more than reading or writing a good book. She is fascinated with worlds created by words and has a passion for mythology that can be seen in some of her works.

She has a BA Hons Degree in Creative Writing & Writing for Performance and a writing companion in the form of a large black tom cat called Salem.

When not busy writing, her favourite thing to do is to curl up with Salem on her lap and read a good book. Her favourite is Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

What kind of stories do you write?

I write books that blend many things together, monsters, myths, romance, adventure, magic, crime, science fiction. I love to fit fantasy into the everyday, to imagine that magic hasn’t been lost, its just evolved to look a little different to survive alongside mobile phone and computers.


Can you describe your writing why?

I’m not sure I could stop if I wanted to. I’ve always has stories that I’ve wanted to tell, they grow inside me until the force their way out.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is a tough one. Not sure I have a whole paragraph. I have one liners that I quite like or cheesy jokes that manage to make their way into my stuff. I suppose one of my favourites was:

“I have to ask, do you know you’re crazy?”

“Not sure. Hum a few bars and I’ll join in.”

Tell us about your latest project

I’ve just recently moved into audiobooks. I currently have the entire Cera Raine Series available on audio narrated by the wonderful Claire Nicholls. I’ve just finished Triton Rising on audio and it should be out later this year, and just starting to get Mistakenly Mated recorded which will probably hit sales platforms beginning of next year.


All are available on Kindle in the meantime ;)

What is your favourite cake?

Black Forrest Gateau. Hands down. Love it.


A very popular choice on this blog! You can connect with Sonnet at the following places:


Join me next week when I take a look back at the cake of 2020. My first slice of cake for 2021 will be with Sydney Scrogham.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round! 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment