Monday 21 September 2020

Label or No Label

Labels. No-one really likes them yet everyone tries to make sure they have the right one. But who even decides which labels are 'right'?

And what if you are the parent and are put in the impossible position of whether to label your child or not. Your own child is the most precious thing you'll ever create. You celebrate their highs and comiserate with their lows. Each of their wins is like one of your own and you spend your entire life hoping that they succeed at everything they want to achieve.

So what do you do when your child might need that extra label? The one that will make them stand out but may also help them in the long run. Do you go for it or not?

Can you ignore the comments and the snide looks from the other kids and their parents? Knowing that you won't always be there to protect your child every minute of every day. 

I'm in this position. Teetering on the edge of whether to buy my son one of these badges or not:


A big part of me feels like I shouldn't have to point out his differences, that it doesn't matter and everyone else should just accept him for who he is. But then the cynical part of my brain knows that will never happen because people don't like it when things are different. Everyone has to be exactly the same brand of sheep, no matter what.

The other thing that worries me is whether telling the other children at his school will result in more teasing and exclusion because now they have a reason. Their suspicions have been confirmed. Here is someone who is different. My heart hurts at that thought because my boy will have no ability to protect himself from that type of cruelty. 

I just don't know what to do for the best. And it's that uncertainty that clouds every single parenting decision I make. How can I be sure that I don't make the wrong decision? And who will help me fix it when I inevitably muck it up?

If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know. For now, be patient with me. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

2 comments:

  1. Claire, you are such a good parent. The fact that you are so thoughtfully debating these things means that he is so well supported. You will figure it out. And maybe he will help you make the decision in one way or another!

    ReplyDelete