Wednesday 9 September 2020

A Slice of Cake With... M.L. Tishner

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author M.L. Tishner. 


Mari is a half-Peruvian, half-American hobbit and pug owner who was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana where she grew up writing Sailor Moon/Gundam Wing fanfiction. She studied biology and Spanish at Indiana University where she decided to revive an old space opera she wrote in her high school years.

A native Hoosier, Mari now lives in southern Germany where she entertains people with her adventures as an American ex-pat in the Land of Beer and Pretzels on her blog adventuresoflamari.com and YouTube Channel as well as making sure the world knows her pugs, Abner and Roxy, exists. When she’s not writing, Mari cooks, snowboards, dances to the beat of her own drum, reads late into the night, and binge watches a good story unfold on Netflix with her husband. The God Queen is her debut novel.

What kind of stories do you write?

I write stories with magic and space ships but I focus on people and their identities and how it’s tied to family and destiny.

Can you describe your writing why?

When I first wrote about my heroine, Rei, I was thirteen years old and in love with both Sailor Moon and Star Wars and I wanted more adventures like it and couldn’t find enough to satisfy my need. So I grabbed a pen and a notebook and decided to write it myself.

Now in my thirties - I write because it’s a need that comes from somewhere deep inside. I get antsy when I can’t write. I am addicted to delving deeper into the world I have created and finding what stories come from it.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I adore writing Bronx and Rei together - I always get excited when they’re in the same room:

Bronx scratched his chin, already coated with stubble. “He was a great teacher. I learned a lot from him, and we became close. Nik would often talk about you.”
“He did?” she said quietly.
“Yeah. I was the only one who knew about you, the only person he could talk to. He really missed you. He had this photo of you with pigtails and you were missing your two front teeth.”
Rei made a face. “Ugh. I hated that photo.”
“I thought it was cute. But I must admit, when you first arrived, I half expected you to still have pigtails.”
“I only wear pigtails on special occasions.” She smirked.
“Like weddings?”
“And baptisms.” She took a sip of her tea.
He raised an eyebrow. “Our second date?”
She choked as she laughed. She met his eyes and found them earnest. Her breath ceased completely for a moment, then she raised her mug. “By your logic, wouldn’t this count as a second date?”
He laughed. She loved the sound of it. “You caught me, Miss Ettowa. Third, then?”
Her stomach fluttered as she caught the playfulness in his voice. “Just so you know, Mr. Manca, I will be expecting more than whispers and tea for our third.”
“Then I vow to redouble my efforts.” He winked.
Rei giggled once she caught her breath. She liked him. She really liked him. Every moment she spent with him left her only wanting more. “I can imagine how well you and Niko got along. You both like to pretend you’re witty.”
“Pretend? Ouch.” He put a hand to his chest, a smile still on his face. “Right in the ego.”
“I can tell Niko rubbed off on you. He said the same thing to me once.” She threw her own hand to her chest. “Oh, betrayed by my sweet baby sister.” She barely contained her laughter as she tried to imitate her brother’s deep voice. “So dramatic.”



Tell us about your latest project

I am working on the sequel to my debut The God Queen. The novel is called The Last Imperator and continues the adventures of Rei and the other “gods” as they try to stave civil war that is brewing in the star cluster.

What is your favourite cake?

Black Forest… more specifically the one my mother-in-law makes (she’s German).


A very popular cake choice! You can connect with M.L. Tishner here:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mltishner 

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mltishner/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mltishner

Twitter: https://twitter.com/mltishner

Join me next week when I have a slice of cake with Karina Kantas.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment