Wednesday 5 August 2020

An Extra Slice of Cake With... C.H. Clepitt

This week I am delighted to welcome author C.H. Clepitt back to my blog for an extra slice!

C H Clepitt has a Master’s Degree in English Literature from the University of the West of England. As her Bachelor’s Degree was in Drama, and her Master’s Dissertation focused on little known 18th Century playwright Susannah Centlivre, Clepitt’s novels are extremely dialogue-driven, and it has often been observed that they would translate well to the screen.

Since graduating in 2007, she gained experience in community and music journalism, before establishing satirical news website, Newsnibbles in 2010. In 2011 she published her book, A Reason to Stay, which follows the adventures of disillusioned retail manager, Stephen, as he is thrust into village life and the world of AmDram. Clepitt’s feminist fantasy, The Book of Abisan not only crosses worlds, but confuses genres, and has been described as a crime drama with magic. She has often said that she doesn’t like the way that choosing a genre forces you to put your book into a specific little box, and instead she prefers to distort the readers’ expectations and keep them guessing. Her 2016 work, I Wore Heels to the Apocalypse does just that, as just like the characters, the readers won’t know what’s going on in this laugh out loud satirical sci-fi.

Describe the types of books you love to read

I like fast-paced stories that jump right in and don’t stop until the end. I can’t be doing with books that spend 3 pages describing a tree.

Which authors inspire you to write?

Philip Pullman for worldbuilding, Sarah Waters for perfectly drawn characters and time periods, and you for nagging me until I get on with it!


Since we last had a slice of cake, what have you been working on?

Crikey, I think our last slice of cake was about 2 years ago, so quite a bit! I had my first foray into contemporary women’s fiction with Curtain Call, which was very well received, I’ve released an urban fantasy series about dream warriors which has kick-ass lesbians and swords (lesbians love a sword) and I have started a series called Shakespeare: Fixed, where I modernise Shakespeare’s plays and “fix” all the problematic bits. My queer take on Twelfth Night won a Booksquirrel award and achieved Amazon Bestseller status in its category, which was exciting.

 

 

What is your next project?

I have recently released book 3 in my Dream Warriors series, Wide Awake. This one is a change of pace, it’s narrated by a man, so totally different voice and world view. Hopefully, people will enjoy it. I’ve included the blurb as an attachment.

I have also published Eye of the Beholder, a similar premise to my Shakespeare Fixed project but with fairytale Beauty and the Beast! 


Have you recently tried any new cake? What was the last cake you baked?

It was my birthday recently and I had one of those Colin the Caterpillar cakes, does that count?

The last cake I ate was a very disappointing Chocolate Log, and I don’t wish to discuss the experience further.

*****

Connect with C.H. Clepitt on Facebook, Twitter and her website

Join me next week when I interview Alex Gedd. If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment