Wednesday 19 August 2020

A Slice of Cake With... David Kummer

Today I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author David Kummer.

David is a young writer who leans towards horror, mystery, dystopian, and young adult fiction. He lives in Madison, Indiana, a small town on the Ohio River, with lots of history and settings that influence his books. He also reviews horror movies and books on his blog, davidkummer.com, as well as free short stories and other material.

What kind of stories do you write?

The books I write generally have elements of horror but they focus a lot more on the personal side of things and the character’s development through those events. I love to have quirky characters and weird names, people that you probably would avoid if you saw them in town. But when you read about them, they become some of your favorite people.

I also love writing about the end of the world or at least a state of being in a darker setting of world. Whether that’s an apocalyptic desert scene or the calm before a nationwide pandemic, I enjoy these types of settings and exploring how different characters react. Everybody has a different way they try to survive and a style that’s completely their own. I think scary and world-ending settings allow me to explore my characters most effectively. And of course, everybody loves a good mystery.

Can you describe your writing why?

I’ve been writing since I was really young, but I personally feel like it helps me to exercise the thoughts that build up in my head. There are pros and cons, of course. I sometimes feel more insecure or doubt myself more while writing, but at the same time I have moments of satisfaction. It’s a difficult balance, but I work to keep going. I think with each book that I write and improve at, I feel a little bit better about myself and what I’ve been able to do.

I love to entertain people and I really enjoy the moments when my book makes a lasting impact on someone, but at the same time a lot of the writing process is about myself. Struggling versus myself, working through my own limits. And in the end, I try to deliver the best product possible.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is from my book Until We Burn, right near the beginning.

A yellow sign stood by the road, its color a thousand times brighter because of the fire. Dancing, brilliant flames were reflected on the shimmering surface, blinding anybody who stared for too long. “Church” was written in deep, black letters against a background brighter than the sun, standing out against the darkness all around it. 


Tell us about your latest project

My book focuses on a group of four young adults that are traveling through desert wilderness, towards this mysterious destination called “Home.” One of the group members, Lucy, is sick and her condition worsening. The main character, Art, is falling in love with her at the same time. The book centers around that conflict, of loving a doomed person. But in a bigger sense, it’s about the journey itself. The four of them are being chased as they travel, with no option but to push ahead, no ability to turn back. Their only hope is to reach Home before Lucy dies and before they’re caught. But the closer they get, the more they understand. Home isn’t what they think.

The majority of my books are thrillers or mysteries, but Home was a lot different. I wrote this book in the months after my grandfather died unexpectedly, so while there are mysterious elements in the book the bigger point is asking big questions. It was my process of working through that whole experience. It’s meant to be thought-provoking, something that sticks with you, and hopefully something you think back on fondly. But more than anything, it begs the question, “Where are we going?”


What is your favourite cake?

My favorite cake is Boston Cream Pie, which might sound like a pie but it’s definitely a cake and it’s excellent. It’s been my favorite cake for a number of years and I don’t really know what the best part is. I do love whenever it’s super cold and the chocolate is kind of frozen, but also the vanilla pudding or whatever in the middle.


You can connect with David here:

Website: davidkummer.com 
Twitter: @DavidKummer7

Join me next week when I have a slice of cake with Holly Rae Garcia.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round! 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment