Wednesday 25 January 2023

An Extra Extra Slice of Cake With... Eleanor Swift-Hook

Today I am delighted to welcome back for the second time my fabulous writer friend Eleanor Swift-Hook.

(c) Ian Bristow
Eleanor enjoys the mysteries of history and fell in love with the early Stuart era at university when she re-enacted battles and living history events with the English Civil War Society. Since then, she has had an ongoing fascination with the social, military and political events that unfolded during the Thirty Years' War and the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. She lives in County Durham and loves writing stories woven into the historical backdrop of those dramatic times.

What is your latest writerly news that you are bursting to share?

Gosh! That would have to be that Lord's Legacy, my historical fiction series with a tiny bit of a 'What if...?' twist in its tail, is getting out into the world thanks to my publisher Sharpe Books.

The series is set in the English Civil War (if you don't know much about it, think roughly The Three Musketeers kind of era) and tells the story of Philip Lord, a mercenary commander with a reputation for ruthlessness gained in the wars raging across Europe. 

Against the backdrop of civil war, Lord returns to England with a treason charge hanging over his head and in search of his identity and heritage. The truth about that lies in the hands of a mysterious cabal calling itself the Covenant, and their secret conspiracy which began a century before. 

It is a series for anyone who enjoys historical fiction, murder mysteries or just a thundering good adventure story.


What was the best book you read in 2022?

Always a toughie to answer that one and for the last twelve months it's been particularly hard as I've had a lot less time for reading than usual. 

One book I read that I really found powerful was Jenny by Jane Jago. It is a contemporary novel and charts the path of a woman who escapes an abusive relationship and learns to trust again. But it's written in a way that allows more than just that, it has a strong element of a thriller too. The kind of book that stays with you for a long time after you’ve read it.

Share your favourite book cover from the books you have written

My favourite cover from the Lord's Legacy series is probably that for The Mercenary's Blade. The style of the cover chosen by my publisher is photographic and that brings the period visually to life.


How has your writing changed over the years?

I think that is difficult to answer for oneself. It is more likely other people will notice the changes. 
That said, I like to think I have improved at least somewhat. I have worked on making my writing more immediate and set deeper into the head of each character. And having to edit to meet the demands of my publisher has undoubtedly done wonders for tightening up my writing, I’m sure.

On a more macro scale I've moved genres into historical fiction, but find there is very little difference in the basics. A good story is a good story and the elements of character, plot, pace and writing style that make it so, are consistent across all genres, in my opinion.

What was the last cake or pudding you had whilst out and about?

Was a while ago but was a rather lovely lemon drizzle cake. I'd highly recommend trying one if you have yet to do so.


You can connect with Eleanor and find out more here:


Book link (to the series): amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BKMQ9TLN
Lord's Legacy Page on Facebook: facebook.com/profile.php?id=100088374540675

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Melissa Leedom. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours through Kofi and buy me virtual tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment