Saturday 4 February 2023

A Slice of Cake With... Melissa Leedom

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Melissa Leedom.

Melissa, author of To Forgive, Divine, a work of contemporary Christian fiction, is a native of New Orleans, Louisiana. She holds degrees in Professional Writing and English Literature from Towson University and Troy University, respectively. She has been reading the Bible since she accepted Jesus as her Savior at age nine. She lives with her husband in a suburb of Austin, Texas, where she is at work on her second novel with her writing partner Andy, the quaker parrot, and where she can visit her two grandchildren as often as possible. 

What kind of books do you write?

To Forgive, Divine is a story about modern people with modern problems: single parenting, divorce, re-entering the dating scene after 10 or more years of marriage.

Add to the mix: nosy neighbors, controlling parents (of adult children!), and rising crime in a usually peaceful small town, and you’ve got a story that defies genre classification. BUT there is a budding romance…if those two could just get together!

Can you describe your writing why?

A now-famous writer (Lisa Wingate) once told me that fiction writers are adults who still like to play with their imaginary friends. In my case. I play “What if?”

For instance, with To Forgive, Divine, I said, “What if two single people suddenly found themselves alone together at a restaurant? And what is some OTHER people saw them and ASSUMED they were on a date? Wouldn’t THAT make for a juicy story?” 

And as it turned out, it did!

And I think, if I get excited writing about it, surely readers will have fun reading it. It keeps me banging away at the keyboard.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

When Bonnie woke up on Wednesday morning, it had been raining since the wee hours and showed no signs of stopping. Rather than forgo her daily run, she donned her running shorts and shoes and drove to the gym after dropping Ben and Josh off at school.…Just as she rounded the curve in front of the plate glass windows fronting the racquetball courts, the lights went on and she saw Jack Summers and Jeff Wells entering, dressed for their racquetball match.

Jack saw her first and, though she couldn’t hear him through the glass, she could see that he was yelling, “Hey, Bonnie!” and waving. She could see Jeff’s unpleasantly surprised reaction to Jack’s greeting and watched as he turned to see her pass. He waved at her somewhat automatically, as if his hand had gone up before he remembered that they weren’t really speaking to each other, but there was no smile on his face. 

Great, thought Bonnie, maybe I should have taken the day off after all. She took a deep breath and forged ahead. Her ponytail bounced as she ran; her face glowed with exertion.

After Jeff’s fourth straight miss resulting from Bonnie’s passing by the window, Jack said, “Are you going to play, or are you going to watch her run?”

Jeff swiped at his forehead with his wristband and said, “Very funny.”

Tell us about your latest project

I am on Ch. 15 of the sequel to To Forgive, Divine, so it will still be a while before its release. And I am having a devil of a time thinking of a working title. Offsides in the Friend Zone occurs to me, but I don’t think it quite captures the whole story. Stay tuned! And in the meantime... To Forgive, Divine makes a great Valentine's read!

I do have a work of nonfiction that was released in January 2023, The Story of the Bible (McGahan Publishing). If you or someone you know has ever been curious about what that BIG BOOK called the Bible is all about, The Story of the Bible is a great place to start. 

What is your favourite cake?

Mmmm…cake.  The BEST cake I ever ate was actually my wedding cake from a tiny little bakery in New Orleans called the Swiss Confectionary (90 years and still going strong!). I should have known it would be fabulous because, when I walked into the store and inhaled, I thought, “This must be what heaven smells like!”

Nowadays, I love tiramisu if I’m going to have cake. If I am ordering DESSERT, however, I would much rather have a serving of chocolate mousse or, if I’m visiting family back in New Orleans, bread pudding soaked in rum sauce!


You can connect with Melissa here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Drēma Drudge. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours virtually through Kofi and buy me 'tea & cake' - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment