Friday 20 January 2023

A Slice of Cake With... Tom Hamling

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with children's author Tom Hamling.

Tom lives with his wife and three children in Norwich, UK. He and his wife both write for popular parenting blog See What Mummy Says. Together they have written for brands such as Bickiepegs, INTU Shopping Centres, Wagamamas and have a regular column in Iceni Magazine.

Tom released his first rhyming picture book in 2019. Tom enjoys spending time with friends and family, and loves watching his children play using this to inspire his stories.

What kind of books do you write?

I write short fun stories for younger people which may or may not rhyme with “scripture cooks”. My characters adventure together using imaginative play.


Can you describe your writing why?

I watch my children play using their amazing imaginations and find it incredibly sad how early children seem to lose that ability to transport themselves to another world. I’d love to create a world where children can escape, whenever they need to and that doesn’t rely on any expensive technology. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

We put on our helmets
And special space suits
A warm pair of gloves
And big heavy boots

We lay back in our seats
The countdown has begun
The engines are roaring
3...2...1!

Up we go
As high as the stars
We’ve seen Saturn and Venus
And “Look, there’s Mars!” 

From Look, There’s Mars!


Tell us about your latest project

I currently have three rhyming picture books available from Amazon, Waterstones online and a variety of shops in Norfolk. There are two further books in the series, which are currently being worked on by the wonderful illustrator, Rachel Edwards! 

I am currently writing a middle grade adventure novel but its very early in the process so I’m afraid I can’t tell you anything else! 

What is your favourite cake?

A man of simple taste, Victoria Sponge is my choice of cake (Must be accompanied by a sugary cup of tea!)


You can connect with Tom here:

Twitter: @whatmummysaysuk
Instagram: @seewhatmummysays
Facebook: See What Mummy Says
LinkedIn: Tom Hamling 

Join me next week when I will be having an extra, extra slice of cake with E.M. Swift-Hook. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours through Kofi and buy me virtual tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment