Wednesday 6 July 2022

A Slice of Cake With... W. H. Mitchell

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author W. H. Mitchell.

Mitchell is the author of the space opera series The Imperium Chronicles, including The Arks of Andromeda and The Dragons of Andromeda. With dark, dry humor, he explores the hubris of humanity through palace intrigues, mega-corporations, and occasionally confused robots. He has also written a humor book based on his tweets called A Little of Me Goes a Long Way, and a comic strip, A Frog Named Moss.

Born and raised in Omaha, NE, W. H. Mitchell has called Kansas City his home for more than a decade. With a degree in English from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Mitchell’s writing has been compared to “Frank Herbert through the eyes and voice of Douglas Adams.” He currently lives in Olathe, KS with his wife and two cats.


What kind of books do you write?

Although I technically write in a single genre, I tend to mix several into my works. It’s all a bit of a mishmash at times, but I don’t know why. I use a lot of dark humor in my books, mostly as comedic relief from some of the darker themes that I include. Both Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett have influenced me, as well as Joseph Heller, so a satirical strain of humor runs through my writing style.

Can you describe your writing why?

I’ve been making stories since before I could read, drawing stories when I didn’t know how to write yet. I’ve dabbled in game design (both pen-and-paper and computer games) but writing my stories has remained the best way I know of telling the ideas in my head.

My favorite part of writing is when my mind makes connections in the plot that I didn’t originally plan. It’s like when you suddenly see how a piece of the puzzle fits, even before you knew there was a piece missing.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

From The Dragons of Andromeda, Chapter 13:

With one of the froglings guarding Sisa, the others rushed into the trees and attacked the sporemen. The two sides squared off, each lunging with spears. Sisa could feel their fury and fear, mixed with her own. She didn’t understand why any of this was happening, why they kidnapped her, or why this was so important that someone had to die because it. Mostly, Sisa just wanted to be home in bed, the smell of her mother’s hotcakes wafting down the hall from the kitchen.

The Katak shouted when they died, croaking their last breath, but the fungus people, gentle in their own way, made no sounds at all. They fell quietly, like the morning fog burning off in the sunshine.


Tell us about your latest project

My newest book is The Dreams of Andromeda, the fourth book in the Imperium Chronicles series. Although the book continues the series, in many ways it can be read on its own. I introduce a new character, Private Detective Thomas Martel. He’s a hard-boiled detective in a science fiction world, exemplifying how I mix different genres. He’s investigating a new drug on the streets called Lotus and its mysterious origins.


What is your favourite cake?

Carrot Cake!


You can connect with W. H. Mitchell here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Gail Aldwin. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.


No comments:

Post a Comment