Wednesday 13 July 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Gail Aldwin

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Gail Aldwin. 

Novelist, poet and scriptwriter, Gail’s debut coming-of-age novel The String Games was a finalist in The People’s Book Prize and the Dorchester Literary Festival Writing Prize 2020. Following a stint as a university lecturer, Gail’s children’s picture book Pandemonium was published. Her second contemporary novel, This Much Huxley Knows, uses a young narrator to shine a light upon the follies of adults. Gail has appeared at national and international literary festivals, including the Bridport Literary Festival, Stockholm Writers Festival and the Mani Lit Fest in Greece. Prior to Covid-19, she volunteered at Bidibidi in Uganda, the second largest refugee settlement in the world. When she’s not gallivanting around, Gail writes at her home overlooking water meadows in Dorset. 

What kind of books do you write?

I write about relationships, communities and what it means to trust.

Can you describe your writing why?

As humans, I think we all need a creative outlet. For others, it may be cooking or gardening or painting, but for me, it’s about writing. Ideas are like dandelion seeds floating in the air. I just have to reach out and grab one. I find the whole process of writing absorbing from the terror of putting ideas onto a blank page to the gruelling process of getting a first draft down. Redrafting and editing is fun. I love the way stories become nuanced and layered with more detail and crafting applied. I find nailing the plot the biggest challenge and when it’s done, this brings the greatest satisfaction.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Here’s an excerpt from This Much Huxley Knows a contemporary novel for adults which uses a young narrator to shine a light on the follies of parents. Huxley is a lonely boy who corrupts the words he’s heard adults use to amuse himself. 

Only me and Mum go to church on Sundays because Dad thinks it’s a waste of time now I’ve got a place at St Michael’s School. But this morning Mum doesn’t want to go as she can’t face seeing Lucy after the dee-bark-all that was last night. She says I can eat my toast sitting on the beanbag. This is my favourite place when all the little bits inside the bag scrunch around me. To be snug you have to dig your bottom in and wiggle about. Right after I’m comfy, Mum passes me a plate with squares of toast and honey. She knows triangles taste wrong. 


The novel has received some excellent reviews from book bloggers: 
This book is really unlike anything you have read before and I absolutely loved it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Julie Morris, A Little Book Problem

Funny, poignant and thought-provoking, it's a timely reminder that perhaps we should all try to see the world through the eyes of a child.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Karen Cole, Hair Past A Freckle

Tell us about your latest project

The Girl and the Tutor is an 80,000-word mystery which introduces menopausal journalist Stephanie Brett. She rediscovers her mojo through a cold case investigative podcast into a missing teenager. The dual timeline also provides the girl’s story of infatuation and exploitation from 1979 and offers an unforgettable twist. It’s set in the West Country and will appeal to anyone who’s a fan of the TV show Vera. The manuscript was shortlisted in the Novel London Literary Competition 2021. I am currently querying The Girl and the Tutor and have had full manuscript requests so I’m keeping my fingers crossed about securing representation. 

What is your favourite cake?

I was introduced to Ekmek Kataifi at the Mani Lit Fest in Greece. This cake is a speciality of the venue which hosted my talk and workshop. The cake has a base of shredded filo pastry soaked in honey, a layer of vanilla custard, another of whipped cream and it’s topped with pistachios. Delish. 


You can connect with Gail at the following places:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Barbara Carter. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment