Wednesday 20 July 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Barbara Carter

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Barbara Carter.

Photo by Nicola Davidson 2018
Barbara is a visual artist and writer living in Nova Scotia, Canada. She likes to take walks, read, watch TV dramas, and practice Qi-gong. Her stories are often about the darker side of life, beyond the white picket fence and the dream of happily ever after. She has published several memoirs and has been published in Foliate Oak Literary Magazine and Understorey Magazine.

What kind of books do you write?

I write about difficult situations in life. About finding your truth. Your voice. Searching for love and happiness. My stories are raw and real from a female perspective.

Can you describe your writing why?

Why I write is because this is where I’ve been led. As a teen I wrote poetry to survive my pain. It was the only safe place where I could express my feelings. Say the things I couldn’t tell anyone else. Visual art won out over writing because I felt I had to choose one over the other. My thinking was so limited back then. I write because there came a point in my life that I felt if I did not write, did not release all I had inside me, I would lose my mind. I share the things we don’t like to talk about, so others might not feel so all alone. I write to heal. I write to bring the darkness into the light.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is the hardest question ever! 

But this paragraph from my first book, Floating in Saltwater sticks with me.

I snapped open my purse which contained my nickel—my payment to God. Mother gave Troy, Margaret and Jamie a penny each to drop in the plate. I wondered if maybe that was why their lives weren’t as good as mine. Maybe if they had more money for God their lives would be better. I thought of slipping Margaret my nickel, but I didn’t want to risk losing what I had.

Tell us about your latest project

My next book, Things Aren’t Always as They Seem will be released in September 2022. It’s about two messed up twenty-something people in the 1980s who fall in love, start a family, and work on getting beyond their dysfunctions.

What is your favourite cake?

Devil's Food Cake.

Connect with Barbara at the following places:

www.barbaracarterartist.com
Goodreads: goodreads.com/author/show/16278274.Barbara_Carter
Instagram: @barbaracartermahonebay
Facebook

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Steven Smith. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!

Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment