Wednesday 25 May 2022

A Slice Of Cake With... Jane Risdon

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Jane Risdon.

Following a career in the international music business, Jane has turned her attention to a lifelong ambition–writing full time. Jane fills her days writing and concentrating on developing her own career instead of those of the recording artists, songwriters, and record producers, whose careers filled her every waking moment for decades.

Over the past 11 years, Jane has been published in numerous anthologies, online and print newsletters, and magazines, including Writing Magazine and Writers and Readers’ Magazine. She also writes articles as well as short stories and flash fiction.

Jane is a regular guest author on global internet radio shows including The Authors Show, Chat and Spin Radio, and The Brian ‘the Hammer’ Jackson Radio Show.

Jane enjoys history, science, and astronomy, and adores walking. Photography is a passion, as well as a host of other interests. When she is not writing Jane can often be found out and about with her camera photographing places of interest, such as our beautiful English countryside, villages, churches, cathedrals, and our wonderful stately homes and gardens–which she often blogs about and calls them her ‘jollies.’ 

What kind of books do you write?

Hello Claire, thanks so much for hosting me on A Slice of Cake today. I am delighted to be here, and I hope your readers enjoy my interview.

I don’t confine myself to writing in one genre; I’ve written in many, although anyone following me will know that I have a favourite and I tend to stick to that mostly. I am fortunate in that I can turn my hand to most genres when the story dictates.

Can you describe your writing why?

My motivation comes from spending many years working in the international music business, and before that, working in the Civil Service, at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Whitehall, London.

Throughout both careers I encountered some very interesting characters and experienced some — what I call — ‘out there,’ moments, and having been an avid reader all my life who has always wanted to write, I just knew that some of my adventures had to be written about before I forgot them.

The international music and movie business is a fantastic place to uncover stories of crime, corruption, and power with larger-than-life characters running everything. You must be in it to see it.  Anyone really interested can seek out books written about the various shenanigans in Hollywood and about those who had to take the ‘Fifth’ to avoid jail, not to mention those whose careers were ruined if they put a foot wrong.

Working at the Foreign and Commonwealth at the height of the Cold War, afforded my young self so much experience and opportunity to discover how the diplomatic service works, and how embassies around the world are a hotbed of spies. I was fortunate enough to meet and be regularly vetted by the Special Branch Commander who tracked and arrested the infamous husband and wife Soviet spies, the Krugers, who were part of the Portland Spy Ring in the early 1960s; he used to tell me about his work and conquests. All this — and many other events — were a wonderful opportunity for someone who wanted to become an author one day.


 Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Sharing a favourite paragraph from a book I enjoyed writing the most is a challenge. I love all my books and paragraphs I have written; I am sure all your interviewees say that! 

However, this one is a particular favourite: it is from Renza’s Diary, September 12th, 1969, from the novel, Only One Woman, which I co-wrote with Christina Jones. Renza and Isolde went to see Hair in Essen, Germany…

Poor Isolde nearly passed away in shock when the cast of men decided to walk across our seats from the stage, naked as the day they were born. I had to laugh at her poor face. I’d been half-expecting it having heard all about it in England last year. But no one prepared us for the live sex on stage. I’ve never been so interested in my own shoes for years. She sat and giggled, hanging on to my arm as I gazed steadfastly at my shoes, tears of laughter and embarrassment washing my black eyeliner down my cheeks. She kept nattering away in German as she tried not to look. I hadn’t a clue what she was saying but laughter is laughter in any language, and both of us were doubled up. How we didn’t get chucked out I’ve no idea. Everyone kept telling us to shhh!


Tell us about your latest project

My latest project is a series of books about a former MI5 Intelligence Officer, Ms. Lavinia Birdsong, who has been forced to take ‘voluntary’ retirement in order to keep her pension, after 20 years working in the Security Services, with her eye on the top job, Director General of MI5.  She was on secondment to MI6 with her now ex-partner, Michael Dante, when she was sent packing and he kept his career and continued working in Moscow on the joint MI5/MI6 Operation Matryoshka.

Lavinia purchases a cottage in rural Oxfordshire, in the Vale of the White Horse, and tries to fathom out how she can inveigle her way back into MI5 as she endeavours to fit into village life. A young woman goes missing and Lavinia sees an opportunity to make herself useful by investigating her disappearance and trying to find the young mother. During her search, Lavinia comes face to face with her old life and enemies in the form of organised crime involving the Russian Mafia and Ukrainian gun and people traffickers.

My love of crime writing and espionage come together in this series, and I have been able to use my past life experiences and knowledge in my writing. To ensure accuracy regarding Forensic Science and Criminal Justice, I studied the basics with various universities over a two-year period, and I am so happy I decided to do this.

Ms. Birdsong Investigates: Murder in Ampney Parva — book one — is with my agent who is seeking a home for her series.

What is your favourite cake?

My favourite cake is fruit cake but without the nuts.


You can connect with Jane here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Pinar Tarhan. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake through Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

4 comments:

  1. Claire, thanks so much for hosting me on your fab blog today. It has been great fun telling you about my past lives working for the Government and in the International Music Business. Without both experiences I would not have been able to write anything. I have loved being published in paperback and eBook and writing in most genres is fun. I don't see why I should stick to Women's Fiction or Crime when I can enjoy writing Time-slip stories, Ghost and Pirate stories...writing is fun. Reading is fun and I hope blogs like yours awakens a passion for both in your readers and followers. Thanks again, have a fun summer and stay safe and happy. Anyone has questions for me, ask away. I love being questioned. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane's past sounds as fascinating as any fiction! Musicians and Special Branch... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous, for your comment. Yes, life has been interesting to say the least. You can find out more on my website or Amazon author page. Thanks, so much for being here. Have a fab day. Jane x

      Delete