Wednesday 4 May 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Sue Barnard

This week I'm delighted to have a slice of cake with author Sue Barnard.

Sue is a British novelist, editor, and award-winning poet whose family background is far stranger than any work of fiction. She would write a book about it if she thought anybody would believe her.  

Her mind is so warped that she has appeared on BBC TV’s Only Connect quiz show, and she has also compiled questions for BBC Radio 4's fiendishly difficult Round Britain Quiz. This once caused one of her sons to describe her as "professionally weird." The label has stuck.  

Sue speaks French like a Belgian, German like a schoolgirl, and Italian and Portuguese like an Englishwoman abroad.  She now lives in Cheshire, UK, with her extremely patient husband and a large collection of unfinished scribblings.

What kind of books do you write?

My books are very difficult to pigeonhole.  I’ve written in various genres and cross-genres.  Some are based loosely on my own experience, whilst others have been written in response to other existing works.


Can you describe your writing why?

I write for myself (which is how it all started).  If other people also happen to like what I produce, that’s just a massive bonus.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

The Ghostly Father was my debut novel, and it was written in response to the prompt WRITE THE BOOK YOU WANT TO READ.  I’ve always loved the story of Romeo & Juliet but wished it didn’t end so tragically, and the book I’ve always wanted to read is the alternative version of the story–the one in which the young lovers get the happy ending they deserve. The novel is part-prequel, part sequel to the original tale, and is told from the point of view of the Friar.


The following extract takes place in the Capulet vault and describes the scene in which the story takes a different turn from the original:

I lifted up my flambard and slowly eased myself to my feet.  A ghastly sight met my eyes: young Romeo, his body racking with sobs, was clinging desperately to Giulietta’s body, his streaming face buried in the folds of her white wedding dress.  So absorbed was he in his prostrate grief for his lost love that he was clearly utterly unaware that I was now standing at his side.

I was so taken aback at his arrival that it took some moments for me to ask myself: What in Heaven’s name was he doing here?

I received the answer to that question in the next instant.  The broken-hearted boy was reaching into his pouch and pulling out a small glass vial.

Oh Merciful Heaven, I thought, as I recalled Giulietta’s words: ‘I have no doubt that he would wish to follow me to the grave…’  I had no time to wonder what had happened to bring him hither in this desperate state; I knew only that I had but seconds to prevent a true catastrophe.

Romeo, still evidently oblivious of my presence, had now drawn the stopper from the vial.  He raised it towards his lips and declared, “Here’s to my love!”

The vial, with whatever deadly substance it contained, was inches away from his open mouth as I leapt forward and seized his arm.  Romeo screamed.  In his shock and amazement he lost his grip on the vial, which fell to the floor and smashed.  Its contents trickled across the flagstones, as the musty air of the vault was pervaded by a faint odour of bitter almonds. 

Tell us about your latest project

My most recent release was Never on Saturday – a paranormal time-slip romance novella set partly in medieval France and partly in present-day north Wales.  The story is based on an old French legend.  I’m currently working (rather slowly) on a French edition of the story.


What is your favourite cake?

I don’t have a very sweet tooth, but I do enjoy a good carrot cake or chocolate brownie. I’m also rather partial to the occasional scone with jam and cream. Opinions are divided about whether it should be jam first or cream first, but I know which order I prefer!


Connect with Sue here:

Twitter: @AuthorSusanB
Instagram: @suebarnardauthor

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Dan Arman. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment