Wednesday 11 May 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Dan R. Arman

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with Dan R. Arman.

A long time ago, in a galaxy not so far away, Dan decided he wanted to tell stories. Stories about other worlds populated by interesting characters, because he thought these people and worlds would help him reflect on the world he was living in, its beauty, horrors and absurdity. While he was starting to pursue this dream of being a science fiction and fantasy author, he began teaching English Composition at Stark State College in Ohio. For several years, he worked as a newspaper reporter, an editor and now teaches literature and writing at an online high school. He holds a master’s degree in English literature and rhetoric from Kent State University. He currently lives in Akron, OH with his wife and three cats.

What kind of books do you write?

I write the sorts of stories I love to read. I tend to disregard strict genre boundaries. If I want a little spaghetti western mixed in with my dark fantasy, that’s what I write. Heck, maybe get my characters into a slapstick or romantic comedy situation, I’m fine with that.

But I think that no matter what type of story I write, whether it’s science fiction, magic realism or any variety of fantasy, I think it must start with characters that, at least on some level, are relatable and likeable. I want the reader to want to get to know these people and spend some time with them, weather the storms with them and maybe care even more about them when they come out the side. Or, if the characters don’t make it, I want them to be missed when they’re gone.


Can you describe your writing why?

I think many writers start at an early age to fill a need. I started when I was 8, writing silly stories about the adventures of four talking raccoons and their fantasy adventures in a post-apocalyptic world. It was part Teen-aged Mutant Ninja Turtles, part Animal Farm, and part Mad Max. For reasons I cannot fathom, my 4th-grade teacher encouraged me to write more of these tales and so I did.

I went to college for journalism to get a “sensible” job that was writing adjacent and even during that time I continued to write. It was one thing that truly gave me happiness and the few times I’ve tried to stop while switching careers to become a teacher I’ve had severe anxiety attacks. The characters and stories just want to come out now. Sometimes it’s hard work, but it’s writing that has filled my life with joy and purpose. I would do it even if I didn’t make a dime on a book but it’s always gratifying when a reader tells me how much they enjoyed a story or liked a character.

I also think that where I’m from—Ohio—punches above its weight class in terms of number of artistic people per capita. Maybe it’s the persistently ugly weather or the geography of the rust belt cities that inspires us to find creative outlets, whether it be with art, music, or writing, so I’ve always lived near and in awe of artistic people and wanted to be part of that.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

So, I had this scene from my last book Kamatari and Minoru go to the Library in which my main character gets married and during his wedding reception, he and his best man and bride discover that a pair of assassins are at the tavern during the merrymaking and they are intent on killing Kamatari’s patron—a mysterious woman known as the Dark Lady. I don’t often write intending to be funny, so initially, I had the scene as a straight fight scene between the main characters and the assassins. I quickly realized while blocking out the fight scene that none of the characters were particularly motivated to fight and that maybe this was an opportunity to have a little fun with the absurdity of the scene. So instead of fighting I had each man take turns threatening the others and seeing if they would stand down. Further revisions had them even precisely measuring their weapons, which as you’ll see is a not-so-subtle stand-in for measuring some other manly parts in a vain attempt for each guy to show how tough they were. The resolution to this non-fight was surprising even to me, but the more I added absurd elements to the scene, the more I found myself giggling and enjoying writing it.


Here it is:

Kamatari grunted but continued up the stairs without further protest. When they reached the top of the stairs, they spotted two men in black creeping down the hallway. One was checking doors to see which were locked. Kamatari surmised that they didn’t know which room the former queen mother was staying in.
“Hey!” he barked at them. The men’s attention turned to him like two predators spotting a mouse. “You’re not guests here, so why don’t you shove on.”
“What’s it to you, friend?” one of the men, baring a scarred hook nose snarled.
“He means this area’s for residents only,” Minoru said. “And we’re here to kick you out.”
“You can try,” hook nose grinned.
The other man stepped forward. “That’s the groom from the wedding. I bet he’s in league with the Dark Lady too, the both of them.”
“So what? What if we are in league with the Dark Lady?” Rubi said before Kamatari could stop her. “What are you going to do about it?”
The man who had bumped Kamatari at the bar tilted his head, revealing a scar across his eye. “Well, first, kill you all, then have my way with the Dark Lady and take the magic book she’s been looking for,” he hissed. “Or you can just give her up and walk away from here with your lives.”
“Not gonna happen,” Kamatari spat.
Hook Nose growled as the two men closed to within six feet of Kamatari. “You will hand the woman and the book to us.” 
“No,” Minoru said, grasping the spear and taking a defensive stance Teuta had taught him. “Try and take her and I’ll run you through with six inches of my spearhead.” 
“Oh,” Hook Nose smiled, drawing a sword from beneath his cloak. “I think not, as I impale you with three feet of tempered steel.” 
Kamatari pulled his dagger from his belt. “Not before I gut you with six inches of wrought iron.” 
The other man in black solemnly drew a pistol and leveled it at Kamatari. The gun clicked as his finger pulled back on the trigger lock. “Pointless, as I will fill your gob with three ounces of molten lead before you even move.” 
Rubi pulled up her sleeves and balled her hands into fists. “Fine, then I’ll have to give you three feet of antique rug.” 
The two assassins lowered their weapons a moment and exchanged confused looks. It was enough of a pause to allow Rubi to drop to her knees, grasp a fistful of rug, and yank as hard as she could. The two fell backward. The pistol went off as its butt bounced off the hardwood floor and the projectile struck the chandelier above them. Its wire snapped sending it crashing down on the men and scattering broken glass everywhere. Hook Nose’s body twitched twice and then went still. Both were bloodied and mangled messes. They were dead. 
“Oh,” Rubi said, placing a hand to her mouth to keep from retching. “That was a bit more than expected.”
“Is it bad luck to kill someone on your wedding day?” Minoru asked.

Leave it to Rubi to pull the rug out—both literally and figuratively-- from under the boys in the room.

Tell us about your latest project

As you probably guessed, my latest book, Kamatari and Minoru go to the Library, is a less-than-serious collection of short stories about two characters I introduced in my Night Maiden trilogy. Together they roughly tell the story of how these two illiterate peasants discover a secret book of prophecy that foretells the end of their world and how they try to stop it. While it is part of a larger universe that I established in other books, this anthology is a standalone and it’s not necessary to have read the prior three books to jump in and enjoy the exploits of these two loveable losers and their friends. It’s also not a straight dark or epic fantasy. Some stories veer towards a little steampunk, some blend in my favorite elements of old western movies and samurai films.

It dropped last May and the audiobook, narrated by the awesome Canadian actor Sam Rosenthal, was just recently made available through audible.
 
In addition, another standalone in the Night Maiden universe, is also on deck and revolves around another character from the original trilogy that was screaming for her own story:

What's a soldier do when there are no wars left to fight? What's a fighter to fight for when the one woman she cared for is gone?

Teuta was the Night Maiden's guardian and sister in arms. She protected her from an assassin's hands but could not shield her from the betrayal by the very king that she fought to put on the throne. And she would have gladly traded places with her when she made the ultimate sacrifice to end the generations-long war against Fiorian invaders. 

Now Teuta must find a way to move on with her life and carry the burden of a life full of scars. But the arrival of a pretender threatens to open old wounds and throw the kingdom of Orloins into chaos.

The race is on to unmask the false Maiden before a shadowy organization can get their hands on her and use her for their own evil designs.


What is your favourite cake?

My grandmother was a master at cooking many things but eating her Angel Food Cake was like having a cloud rest on your tongue. It was so light and sweet and I can still recall its taste 11 years after her death as though I just had some yesterday.

But, barring a time machine trip to the past, I must say that my current favorite cake is a cheesecake with sour cream topping and graham cracker crust, preferably served with blueberries or cherries.


You can connect with Dan here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Eric Gates. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating article, really good to get inside your head and find out more about you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete