Wednesday 1 June 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Pinar Tarhan

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with Pinar Tarhan.

Pinar is a novelist, screenwriter, freelance writer, and blogger. She has been creating worlds and stories for as long as she can remember. She loves rock music, movies, the beach, dancing, traveling and hanging out with friends. These all somehow make their way into her stories. 

What kind of books do you write?

I write funny and emotional novels featuring ensemble casts where intelligent and passionate people fall in love. 

Can you describe your writing why?

My imagination runs wild. I’ve always dreamed up stories in my head, but I actively started crafting them in school. 

I went through a phase where I felt like I didn’t belong. And sometimes I was just bored. But I think mostly, I loved all the possibilities stories brought. I don’t have the guts to jump from a plane? I got my character to skydive. Bad singer? Character is a rockstar with the most beautiful voice. I got to live a million lives and got addicted in the process.

Then there is the fun-loving romantic in me. Life doesn’t always give you what you want when you want. So, I create entertaining escapes. 

There is also writing the type of novels I want to read. I avoid things that piss me off in real life and other stories. I create characters that are flawed but ultimately likable and redeemable. 

And I avoid tragedy for tragedy’s sake with all my might. :) I believe in happy endings, happily-ever-afters, and fascinating new beginnings. 

My characters have issues and they suffer to a certain extent, but never to the point that you will want to throw the book to my head. 

Writing is my therapy, escapism, entertainment and creative outlet.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

That’s a hard one, picking one of my babies over the other. I’ll share from my latest, A Change Would Do You Good. I love these characters so much, there is a sequel in the works.

Janie sat on the sofa in her living room with her head buried in a throw pillow while Linda sat on the club chair across her and laughed at the state of her friend.
“I can’t believe you slept with Kevin.”
“Neither can I,” Janie said, lifting the pillow and hugging it instead. “We were hanging out, having fun, and I guess we got carried away.”
“Did you talk to him after?
“Are you kidding? I bolted out of there like the house was on fire. He was still asleep.”
“Are you OK?” Linda sensed Janie’s panic was less about Kevin and more about Lenny.
“I don’t know,” Janie put the pillow away. “I mean, I do feel guilty, obviously.”
“Sweetie, it has been over a year. I’m sure he’d want you to move on.”
“I guess I’d feel guilty no matter what. If I started something serious, I’d feel guilty about that. And if I hooked up with a stranger, I’d feel guilty for cheapening his memory.”
“See, you have nothing to feel guilty about,” Linda declared. Janie looked at her
quizzically. “You didn’t hook up with a stranger. He’s your neighbor. And you didn’t start
a new relationship.” She caught Janie’s eye, and they both laughed. “What will you do
now?” Linda asked.
“Oh, I’ll totally take the easy way out and leave it all to him. If he acts like nothing happened, nothing happened. Problem solved.”
There was a knock on the door. Janie got up and walked out to answer. She opened the door. Kevin stood in front of her, dressed in jeans, sneakers and a T-shirt.
“Hey,” Kevin said.
“Hi.”
“Want to hang out?” Kevin asked. Janie was about to say something when she saw Linda was hiding behind the door, invisible to Kevin. She was gesturing Janie to go with him.
“Sure,” Janie said. Linda gave her a thumbs up. “Let me take my purse and jacket.”
At this point, Linda was already handing her the needed items. Janie took them from Linda, doing her best to pretend someone wasn’t there. She stepped out the door, closing the door behind her.
“What do you want to do?” Janie asked as they walked down the stairs.
“Thought we could just drive and do whatever we feel like.”
“Sounds good.”
They kept walking down the stairs. They were about to head outside when Kevin stopped and turned to Janie. “I knew I forgot something.”
Before she could say anything, he gently pressed her against the wall and kissed her. Janie kissed him back.
“All good now.” He smiled, and they headed outside. Janie didn’t want to think
about how glad she was they weren’t pretending last night didn’t happen.


Tell us about your latest project

A Change Would Do You Good is a romantic comedy-drama centering around Janie. She’s a 35-year-old fashion designer Janie who feels stuck and alone after her boyfriend died and best friends moved abroad. So, she gives her life a complete makeover, changing practically everything. 

Her fresh start comes with eclectic neighbors and friends, including a model living with his stuck-in-a-rut girlfriend, a single agoraphobic mom who lives with her teenage son, a drug-fueled metalhead, two goofy cops and handsome therapist Greg. 

They would have been chaotic and distracting enough, but there’s also Kevin: A pro surfer with the looks of a Norse god, he lives for two things: the waves and having fun. Their chemistry is off the charts, but she isn’t over her loss. And Kevin doesn’t seem to know words like commitment and relationship even exist. 

A Change Would Do You Good is about moving on and falling in love, but it’s also about friendships, finding your calling, following your dreams, making bad choices that ultimately take you to right ones, grief, relationships, and enjoying life to the max. 

What is your favourite cake?

Best question ever! Chocolate, always chocolate! :) I’ll gladly eat a cake with other stuff as long as chocolate is the ingredient of honor. :) 


You can catch up with Pinar on her blog Addicted to Writing  
Twitter: @zoeyclark
Instagram: @skydiveroffreefalls  

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Clare Flynn. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating finding out about Pinar and her writing. Good luck and enjoy your cake.x

    ReplyDelete