Monday 14 February 2022

My Thoughts On Encanto

I was really excited to watch Encanto and made sure I cleared the day to watch it when it came out. The kids did the usual running around and screaming, not paying attention and making it difficult for me to fully enjoy the film. I got to the end and went 'eh'.

Don't get me wrong it was bright and colourful, full of culture and songs. Lots and lots of songs. I chalked it up to a Disney movie I probably wouldn't watch again. 

Then TikTok got hold of the songs and at first, I didn't realise what I was listening to. 

Pressure like a drip, drip, drip that'll never stop, whoa
Pressure that'll tip, tip, tip 'till you just go pop, whoa
Give it to your sister, your sister's older
Give her all the heavy things we can't shoulder
Who am I if I can't run with the ball?
If I fall to

Lots of videos of sisters singing with each other. Then came the masterpiece that is We don't talk about Bruno. Man, that song grows on you. 

I've since watched the film again and enjoyed it much more the second time around. I listen to the soundtrack at least once a day and the children and I sing about Bruno often. 

The thing about the songs is there really is something for everyone. When Mirabel sings about the family Madrigal you feel the love that families are made of. But when she sings of not having any powers, it reminds you of everything you've ever desperately wanted but never been able to have. When Luisa sings her pressure song, it hits home hard - we all have incredible amounts of pressure upon us at all times and as women it's something we just keep doing, give us another donkey, we can take it. 

I know that's a song that has resonated with a lot of people. All the feels. But I also feel deeply with Isabela's song What Else Can I Do? because she's realising that perfection isn't all she can do, she can make other things that might not look perfect but are still perfect. Wow, that's a lot of perfects. But it reminds me of making children.

I just made something unexpected
Something sharp, something new
It's not symmetrical or perfect
But it's beautiful and it's mine
What else can I do?

I love music and I love the way it makes me feel. I am loving listening to the Encanto songs and dancing around the front room. Thanks, Disney. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard from my son and his partner that this is a great film and very family orientated. Thanks for sharing. It's on my to watch list now.

    ReplyDelete