Monday 7 February 2022

Do You Need To Be Organised?

It has occurred to me that I always seem to be striving for being organised and yet never quite get there. This brings me to my question - do you need to be organised?

If you manage to always hit those deadlines regardless because somehow that last-minute bit of attention is always enough then do you actually need to get all your ducks in a row beforehand?

Perhaps the stress of trying to be organised all the time isn't worth the energy.

I mean sure, a calendar is a useful thing. You can put appointments in one place and hopefully never forget a meeting. And add in all the school dates. Plus birthdays. How can it not go wrong?

There are fundamentals to running a household that have to be met. Washing, ironing, cleaning and such like, food shopping, essential DIY blah, blah, blah. At least I don't have a garden to worry about.

But I mean, once you've got all those things in hand, is there really any need for further organisation? Well, I expect the answer is probably yes, however, I fear I will never get there as I continue to lurch from one deadline to another fuelled by blind panic that I'm getting further and further behind.

I remember a conversation I had with my other half about my writing deadlines. I'm an indie author so I don't have anyone asking for my manuscript by a certain date but I find that without deadlines things drift and I don't get the writing done. He thinks it's hilarious that I put so much pressure on myself.  

Do you need to be organised to meet deadlines?

Maybe it's a case of certain personalities that work better under organisational regulations whilst others get disillusioned fast when creativity is stymied. 

Or maybe I am just a ditherer, always trying to be organised and always managing to procrastinate the actual act of organisation. As we fly through 2022 (can't believe it's February already) I'm beginning to think that I should give in to my desire to be unorganised and save myself some stress. 

Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment