Tuesday 25 January 2022

Tuesday Poem - My Children

 I’m not a natural mother

When comparing myself to others

I don’t know how to play

Or get through a rainy day

Going to the park is exhausting

I always forget what to bring

I don’t like mess or muck or mud

Although I do alright with blood

I always seem to be tired and cross

Thinking about the things I’ve lost

No freedom, no time, no smiles

Just chores that stretch for miles and miles

 

Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum

I, I, I, I

Want, Want, Want, Want,

Me, Me, Me, Me

 

Where did I go?

 

I’m not a natural mother, no

But I try to figure it out, so

I can turn frowns upside down
And tickle fights with lots of laughter

We read and sing and do puzzles

Watch TV and go out to play

Doing something every single day

I feed and wash and hug these tiny people

Never knowing if it’s wrong or right

 

A small hand that clings on tight

An unexpected hug

A kiss and a smile and a snuggle

That’s my children

That’s love

 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

1 comment:

  1. Nice poem. It reminds me of those days when mine were young.

    ReplyDelete