Wednesday 12 January 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Dafni Mathioudaki

Today I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author Dafni Mathioudaki.

Dafni Ma is terrible at writing her own CV but she could do an excellent one for someone else. Almost anything that involves the art of the written word is her cup of tea (the actual one would be ginger and lemon though). Three years of cinematography studies, then three years of non-stop seminars on literature and British history, while working as an editor for novels and screenplays, copywriter, and author. She also gives incredibly awkward long monologues about Shakespeare to innocent people.

What kind of books do you write?

I write books that compete. Some of them include cats, most of them include magical women, almost all of them include the theme of metamorphosis – literally or metaphorically (or even better, both). Some of my books get jealous and try to sneak in their stories to others. When they are caught doing that, I deal with it using mild violence and big cups of coffee.

Can you describe your writing why?

The need to understand the world and myself. Sounds incredibly cheesy but it’s true; I feel like we all have a road we follow, and that by writing I can shed light on the dark alleys that I would otherwise avoid but they might be holding treasures.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

‘Breakup’, she said softly. The word left a honey coated salmon taste in her mouth. ‘That would not do’, she thought. ‘It’s too good.’
She tried on some pearl earrings and decided against them. ‘Distance’, she whispered. That one felt like champagne; too fancy and too anxious. She wanted something blunt, something that would be the equivalent of rice cakes or a lotus fruit.
‘Change’, she said and looked at her lips forming the word. Not bad. ‘Change’ was open enough and personal enough to make the other person believe it’s actually not their fault. ‘It’s not you, it’s me’, she exclaimed mockingly while putting her hand on her chest for extra dramatic effect. She let out a little foxy laugh. That phrase tasted like tofurkey; it would fail to convince anyone that it was the real thing. ‘Change’ would do the trick. The peripheral words she would use did not really matter; they would simply serve as the dressing.

Tell us about your latest project

Oh, so many exciting things are coming. I am currently writing a fantasy YA and editing the final draft (or is it?) of a dark fantasy short story collection, but I don’t know which one will be published first, since I am on the lookout for a new publisher.

What is your favourite cake?

Basque Burnt Cheesecake, although being the optimist that I (sometimes) am, I like to believe that I haven’t tasted my favourite cake yet.


You can connect with Dafni on Facebook: facebook.com/authordafnima

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Samuel Z Jones. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment