Wednesday 1 December 2021

A Slice of Cake... Shelley Wilson

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Shelley Wilson.

Shelley is a genre-straddling English author of motivational self-help titles and young adult fantasy fiction. Her sensible side writes non-fiction books to inspire you to survive and thrive, and her cheeky and playful side writes young adult fiction for lovers of the supernatural and kick-ass heroines.

Shelley's passions include writing (obvs!), reading fantasy/horror/post-apocalyptic stories, Tudor and Viking history, visiting castles, eating pizza, and obsessing over to-do lists.

Shelley was born in Leeds, West Yorkshire but raised in Solihull, West Midlands, UK, where she lives with her three grown-up children, one fifteen-year-old fat goldfish and a black cat called Luna.

What kind of books do you write?

Great question. As a multi-genre author, I get to wear two author hats.

Faeries, witches, and werewolves, oh my! My fictional novels are full of creatures, new realms, young characters, and plenty of action (and gore). They explore friendships, first loves, and confidence. Writing for a younger audience is a joy and a responsibility, but no topic is off-limits. 

When wearing my other author hat, everything is much calmer. My non-fiction titles set out to motivate, inspire, and entertain readers looking for direction in their lives.

I write about meditation and werewolves, but not in the same book - perhaps I should! ;)

Can you describe your writing why?

The dream to become an author has stayed with me since I was about eight years old. Creating stories and escaping into books made me happy. I saw my name in print in Jackie magazine (remember that!) when I was about thirteen, and I was hooked. It wasn’t until my forties that I took my writing seriously and published my first book. 

I continue to write because I love the entire process, even the editing! My fiction continues to be an escape for me and a chance to relive my youth and test myself as a writer. The non-fiction titles I write are my way of helping other people live their best lives. As a domestic abuse survivor, I’m passionate about empowering women, and I can do that through my books.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Drum roll please…

Here’s the Prologue from my next YA novel, due out in May 2022. The Last Princess is my first attempt at including historical fiction in my work. There are no supernatural realms in this book! I adored writing this book and doing the research, and I can’t wait to share it with my readers.

Hundreds of bodies littered the grassland as their lifeblood soaked into the earth. Warriors in mid battle cry lay face down in muddy puddles still clinging to their axe and shield, and the sound of conflict floated across the grey English sky like one of the king’s banners. 

In the eyes of the great warriors who had travelled across the sea, the king’s army was outnumbered and weak. These foreigners didn’t shy away from war, they embraced it with determination and passion.

Like a plague, they swept across all England taking what they wanted, killing, and plundering. Nobody was safe from their wrath. Kings and peasants were treated as equals as these warriors from the North defiled the land.

High up on the hilltop a man sat on his horse watching the battle unfold. His eyes scanned the valley as he witnessed soldier after soldier cut down by the vicious army that advanced on his home. He’d sent all his best men to their death. No amount of manipulation, silver, or corruption could stop this curse upon his land. 

The crown on his head weighed heavy as he glanced first left then right at the remainder of his army. Young men who stood on the brink of annihilation. The king knew all was lost, he knew the great warriors would never stop, and he knew why. 

Deep within the battlefield, at the heart of the fighting, he had seen her. A sword in her hand, blood smeared across her tunic, and warpaint decorating her face. It had been many moons, but he would have recognised her anywhere. 

The end of their story was playing out in front of them, but the king wasn’t quite ready to give up just yet. Failure had never been an option.

He sat a little straighter in his saddle and addressed the young army at his side.

‘To the death!’ he cried.

Tell us about your latest project

My latest non-fiction title will be published on 2nd December 2021 by BHC Press.

Self-Help for the Helpless is a short non-fiction book aimed at readers who have never come across the idea of self-help before. 

For seven years, I ran a ladies-only holistic spa where I worked tirelessly to raise awareness about looking after your needs. Before I left my abusive marriage, I’d never come across the terms self-help or mind, body, spirit before, and yet that section of the bookshop jumped out at me when I needed it the most.

I wanted to share the advice I discovered at the start of my own self-help journey. I think the blurb explains it perfectly:

Have you ever felt helpless? Are you struggling to understand why you feel disconnected from your friends or family? Are you mystified by the words self-help, self-care, and personal development? Are you looking for answers but really have no idea where to begin?

In this beginner’s guide to personal development and understanding self-care, Shelley Wilson will show you how looking after your own needs can be a powerful tool for your mental, physical, and emotional health so you can begin making important changes today.

Discover what self-help means, how to become more self-aware, understand core values, and have fun mapping out what your best life looks like. Shelley includes tips, tools, and techniques and shares her 31-day self-help toolkit. 

Be the person you deserve to be and join bestselling self-help author and award-winning personal development blogger Shelley Wilson on a journey of self-discovery. 

What is your favourite cake?

Victoria Sponge is the only cake I like. Even though I’ve got a sweet tooth, I rarely have cake, but if I spot a fluffy Victoria Sponge, then I dive straight in!


You can connect with Shelley here:

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Mandy James. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

2 comments: