Tuesday 28 December 2021

Tuesday Poem - It's Not Covid

2021 came in, heralding a new beginning
A tentative step into the beyond
The year post lockdown, a shining beacon of missed chances realised
Of missed family reunited and lost opportunities regained
Of everything being not Covid

The first time I saw and hugged my mum, I cried
And that gathering of family and friends
In the park, for my 40th
The best day ever, full of laughter and love
All the fresh air made sure it was not Covid

I won the fight for my autistic son
After months of delays and complications
Now he gets the help in school he needs
Now I can move on to the next fight, and the next
A shaky breath taken in the in-between of not Covid

Two new books were released. I am a writer, you know?
Important stuff as everyone else was so productive
Everyone was doing and learning and creating in lockdown
I was just surviving, hanging on by a literal thread
Making sure none of us were taken by Covid

I’m still owed money, six months now
I ring and they say it’s a backlog
Try again in another month’s time
Another month’s worth of money owed
Another month of scraping by but at least it’s not Covid

And scraping is what my knackered knee is doing
Three years waiting so far to be told
A knee replacement is needed but
Too young and besides, there’s a three-year wait
But console yourself, at least it’s not Covid

Still, we had good weather, didn’t we?
And the crowds came out and we only flinched
For the first few weeks of so many people in one place
And the kids were fine
They didn’t get sick, just that one time, not Covid

And I gained all the weight I lost
And my back went into spasm for a few weeks
And I missed a few things
While the kids stayed in, glued to their screens again
Lock downed once more by me, not Covid

It’s hard
Hard for momentum to swing you back round
Hard to make time for family and friends
Hard to be bothered to get up and smile
Hard to breathe, but it’s not Covid

That’s the takeaway this year I feel
Through bright spots and low times
Through emptiness and maniacal laughter
Of hugs and isolation, silence and cacophony
At least we get to say, it’s not Covid


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment