Wednesday 14 July 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Amy Campbell

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Amy Campbell.

Amy is an independent author and librarian. She grew up in Houston, which she still calls home. Amy writes epic fantasy novels about men and women who are unapologetically true to themselves (and throws in the occasional pegasus or chupacabra to keep it interesting). When not working at the library or writing, Amy is chasing after her two busy young boys.

What kind of books do you write?

Imagine the unholy combination of The Great British Baking Show, Walter Farley’s The Black Stallion, and The Magnificent Seven into one wild ride and add magic.

Can you describe your writing why?

I started writing again in April 2020, after not writing for 15 years due to life (grad school, job, marriage, kids, etc). I needed something in life I could control in the middle of a pandemic. After that, I just didn’t stop because I had rediscovered the joy I had for writing. I’m very attached to my characters and they’re friends who live in my head so I want to continue to explore their stories.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I really enjoyed writing most of the third act. One of my main characters makes the choice to run to something he had previously run away from. And the other main character is seen to be much more emotionally vulnerable than he had been for the previous chapters. After that, they have to go into a big heist/battle type scene so that was fun.


Tell us about your latest project

I’m working on the second book in the series, Effigest. There are lots of unanswered questions at the end of Breaker that will be addressed in book two. Plus I pick up another new main character to replace one of the originals who is in a spot of trouble. The two main characters don’t get along for the most part. I seem to favor the “enemies to bros” trope. 

What is your favourite cake?

Okay, so I don’t get this often which is why it’s a favorite and special: Texas Tower Chocolate Layer Cake from the Taste of Texas. “A four-layer chocolate fudge cake with chocolate sauce.” Need I say more?


You can connect with Amy here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Fiona Phillips. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment