Monday 15 February 2021

Finding Your Writing Process

I have read a lot of articles about how to implement your writing routine and have heaped huge piles of guilt upon myself for not adhering to writing at least 1000 words a day and sitting down to do that before I do anything else.

That just doesn't work for me. 

Not only am I a writer, but I am also trying to look after myself so in true 'eat the frog' style, the first thing I do when I get up is work out because if I don't, I never get round to it. 

I am inherently lazy. 

When we are not in lockdown, I would get up at 5am in order to get my procrastination, workout and shower out of the way before the kids get up. That never worked. They always get up too which is why I have that 2-hour slot so I can stop to do potty's, make drinks, fix toys, referee arguments and so forth before we have to get ready for school.

Getting up earlier than 5am is not happening.

Another piece of writing advice that I see everywhere is to write a set number of words every day regardless. I find this powerfully difficult because I am not always in the mood to write. And I have tried to force the issue but I end up either staring at a blank page for a very long time or writing utter rubbish. Neither one gets me very far.

I am much better letting myself creatively stew and have my subconscious due all the hard work so that when I do sit down to write I amaze myself with how easy it is.

That in essence is the eternal writing struggle. It's so hard to get going but if you can find your flow then it's amazing. And that, I think, is why you can't give up writing. When going well, it's intoxicating.

What exactly is my writing process? That is a very good question. I don't think I have one, specifically. I think mine is a product of my circumstances i.e. I'm a stay at home mum who writes. Therefore I have no routine and very often cleaning the oven can be an excellent procrastination tool.

And yet... without any structure in my writing life whatsoever, I still manage to finish my books and bumble along with half a marketing strategy. I meet most of my deadlines. And as my husband continually points out to me, I make my own deadlines so does it really matter if I don't meet them?

The answer to that is absolutely yes. I let myself be more or less deadline free in 2020. And yes, we had lockdown and homeschool and a huge dollop of free and worry to work through so I thought it would be a kindness to myself. It didn't work. I felt like I squandered my time and did nothing. Which in itself led to a downwards spiral of self-disappointment. Another thing writers suffer with on a regular basis. 

I write when I can, where I can and as much as I can. I like to listen to music - including Twilight Saga, Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit and Moana soundtracks. Odd, yes I know. And I like to have a goal, even if that means I never make said goal.

The important thing here is to realise that my writing process is not likely to be anything like yours - and that's okay! Find what works for you and embrace the weirdness, even if it's writing in the dark whilst eating chocolate digestive at three thirty in the morning on a Wednesday. 

Good luck! And enjoy the process, whatever it may be.


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Claire. Don't beat yourself up. I'm a morning person but couldn't possibly rise at 5am as I'd be good for nothing. Don't forget you are home schooling as well, an enormous taker of time. Be kind to yourself. The post is good as are your poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila - sometimes I think we just need to take a moment and realise we're getting it done. It might not be the way anybody else does it but we're doing it lol.

      Delete