Monday 5 October 2020

No Kitchen, No Problem

This week I am having a new kitchen. All my old manky cupboards are being ripped out. The dated, cracked and grimy tiles will be pulled off. The dingy, chipped and ill-fitting flooring removed. 

We are renovating in order to put our flat up for sale so whilst it's very exciting to be having a new kitchen it's also bittersweet. I'm spending a fair amount of money on something that's not really for me. Consequently, I have tried not to invest myself too much into the creation.

My best friend, who is an interior designer and works creating kitchen dreams for people, has planned everything, right down to the door handles. Having her choose everything has been wonderful for two reasons - one, I don't have to make decisions, something I do struggle with and two, I know she will make sure everything works together.

At the DIY store yesterday we perused wall tiles. Apparently, I am now the proud owner of taupe tiles. 

I am, of course, taking before and after photos which I am primarily sharing on my personal Facebook page but I'm sure once the whole thing has been completed I will share a montage on Twitter and Instagram. Life happens, right? And that's what we share on our social media. 

In the runup to the new kitchen I have been highly focused on making sure I had something to eat this week. Every meal I made last week I doubled and froze a portion so all I have to do is defrost and bung it in the microwave. Sorted. The kids have got various tinned options. It's not massively nutritiously varied but the new kitchen will no doubt come with a renewed desire to cook lots of new, different recipes. 

They will expand their limited repertoire. They will.

But it is not until I sit here wondering when the kitchen fitters will arrive that I realise... I have not organised anything for the hubster. Poor dear. He so often makes do with whatever concoction I create, whether he cares for it or not, and yet today there is no food for the man of the house. 1960s would be up in arms. Fear not, a chicken and mushroom bake from Tesco will sort him out in a pinch. 

Wish me luck! I hope to report back with kitchen success in the very near future. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment