Wednesday 18 September 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Nathan Burrows

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Nathan Burrows.


Nathan Burrows is a writer based in Norfolk in the United Kingdom. His debut novel, a legal thriller called Blind Justice, was published in March 2018.

His latest book - Man Down - is a heart-thumping military story about British medics working in Afghanistan. Set in 2006 at the height of the fiercest war fighting that British troops had seen since the Falklands war, it's a gripping tale of heroism set in a world that few have experienced.

He's also the author of a dark comedy trilogy set in Norfolk. The first in the series is The Butcher, a deliciously funny story about - amongst other things - sausages. The second in the series is The Baker, which features Norfolk's most useless cult. And finally, The Candlestick Maker is about a fitness instructor with a difference.

Nathan's a keen reader as well as a writer. He occasionally runs marathons, has a Norwich City football club season ticket, and is the proud part-owner of a Daschund puppy called Bertie.

What kind of books do you write?

Okay, bit of a mixed bag really. I tend to write what interests me at the time, and in the genres that I enjoy reading. For example, I am a big fan of authors like Tom Sharpe, Lesley Thomas, and of course Douglas Adams – so I’ve written a comedy series. At the same time, I’m a big fan of John Grisham, hence the legal thriller I’ve written. For me, it’s about emulating the writers whose work I enjoy the most.


Can you describe your writing why?

I don’t watch television, and I lead a pretty monastic life (but without all the praying and stuff) during the week. So it keeps me busy and out of trouble. The main thing is I enjoy it – call it a God complex, but I really enjoy having total control over my (fictional) characters. What happens to them, what they do, how it all ends up. It’s like having total control, but that all falls apart when I finish writing and I realise that they’ve gone their own way. A really good writing session for me is when I sit back and think – well, I wasn’t expecting them to do that!

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Nope, sorry. Can’t answer that one, because it’s the last chapter of The Butcher. If I told you what it was, then it ruin the whole book!


Tell us about your latest project

Man Down. A military thriller. Very different from my other books, released this September. Bit of a roller-coaster, I hope!


What is your favourite cake?

Easy. French Fancies (yellow or pink icing are by far the best! 


Stay in touch with Nathan on Facebook and Twitter.

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Mary Woldering.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment