Monday 29 April 2019

Taking A Day Off

Since beginning my writing journey I have been writing, editing and marketing every day without fail. Even when I was having my baby girl and semi-delirious from lack of sleep there was a smidgeon of social media happening. 

And it's because I love writing that I've tried to shoehorn as much as possible into each and every day. I don't want to lose that love and passion but recently I have been tired. Incredibly tired. So tired my brain isn't really functioning properly and I'm forgetting lots of things. 

I'm a stay at home mum which means I don't get a day off because my children wake me up at 5am every day. They don't grasp the concept of a lie-in or a weekend. Like all parents everywhere there is always mess to tidy up, food to make or clear up, washing to wash or dry or iron or put away. These things never end. Children never stop. And if they sense a last nerve, they will stamp on it viscously. 

So I have parental exhaustion coupled with writer burnout. Go me.

But I also have two books that I want to release this year so how do I overcome this problem?

I have decided to trial a day off. On Sundays, I shall not actively do any social media or writing whatsoever. I won't dwell either. I shall enjoy reading a book for pleasure, spend time playing with my kids, bake and eat cake - whatever it might be. But there will no work. For a tired brain cannot reach its full potential and I intend to smash mine. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

1 comment: