Wednesday 10 April 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Sarah Buhrman

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with indie author Sarah Buhrman.

Sarah is an AuthorGoddess, one who embraces the divine honor of creating worlds with words in the hope of inspiring others. Sarah has been writing for more than 25 years, starting with poetry before moving on to non-fiction and fiction. She lives in the Midwest with two monsters (the kids), an ogre (the hubby), and whatever drama-llama is coming to visit this week. Sarah is the author of the Runespells series: Too Wyrd, Fluffy Bunny, and The Chains That Bind. She has short stories in several anthologies, including Counterclockwise: A Time Travel Anthology, A Twist of Fate: A Collection of 11 Twisted Fairy Tales, and Whispers of Hope: A Lexis Infinitum Charity Anthology. Sarah also has a blog via Patreon and makes funny videos about writing on her vlog, Practically Writing.

What kind of books do you write?

I write about real people dealing with messy situations in sometimes messy and broken ways. Most of the time, there is something supernatural or paranormal about it, but not always. I focus more on the real thoughts and emotions of choices that aren’t great or aren’t black and white. I’ve done a lot of research into PTSD, transpersonal psychology, and non-neurotypical persons. These are my favourite things.


Can you describe your writing why?

A lot of writers talk about needing to write. That’s not me. The stories exist in my head regardless. I don’t need to write them down. I guess I just find so many of those stories interesting or meaningful that I want to share them. I want others to go on this journey I’ve found in my psyche. For that, I apologize... It’s kind of scary in there.

  


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I gave up. I let my muscles go limp, just waiting until my body finally needed air enough to force me to inhale the liquid around me. I stared into the distance, realizing there was a light somehow. The light grew brighter, and I could see a shape coiling its way through the water towards me. My eyes widened when I saw that the creature had the long, sinuous tail of a sea serpent and the torso, arms and head of a woman.
The tail of the creature was glowing with a golden light from nowhere but reflecting off of the yellowish scales. The woman had skin of obsidian, with sparkling black diamond eyes. Her hair was a thick, tangled cloud of squid’s ink flowing behind her. She smiled, flashing teeth of pearls, as she reached for me.
“I am here to help you,” she said, though her mouth did not form words. “Why do you struggle alone?”
I gaped helplessly, and shook my head. She held me by the arms and pressed her lips to my forehead. The touch of her mouth was so cold, it burned my skin. She drew back, tight curls flowing around her head.
She spoke to me again in the smooth voice that didn’t come from her throat. “Why don’t you just breathe, now?” She nodded as though to reassure me, and it did. “Breathe. Now!”

Tell us about your latest project

The Chains That Bind is the third book in the Runespells series. Nicola has been beaten, brainwashed, nearly killed several times, and watched her own daughter’s throat cut in front of her. She has PTSD and a therapist, and Joseph takes her on a hiking trip to get away from it all.

Instead of relaxing, she finds herself training with a humourless Valkyrie and chasing down an escaped convict who plans to use one of the Runespells, a pendant of runic magic, to free the monstrous wolf, Fenrir and kick off Ragnarok.

As if that’s not enough, she runs into enemies, new and old, and Joseph undermines her confidence by questioning what she has to do. In the end, she’ll end up even more broken than before.



What is your favourite cake?

I LOVE German Chocolate... and angel food... and pineapple upside-down... Er, um, cake?


I'm with you on cake being a favourite! I do enjoy a peach upside-down cake and I have a tin of peaches in the cupboard...

Sarah can be found ALL over the place online so I'm going to leave her extensive list of links for you to follow where you please:

Newsletter Sign-up (direct): http://eepurl.com/caTCyL

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Cathy Skendrovitch. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment