Wednesday 24 April 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Rhonda Read

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author Rhonda Read.

Author of Energy Fix and She Too, R Read has also published a short memoir, and her poems and short stories are scattered about.  She writes from a cozy apartment in San Luis Obispo, CA and is currently working on a new novel, as well as the screenplay for She Too.

Originally from Saskatchewan Canada, she grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and attended Eastern Michigan University where she earned a BA in Marketing Communications. Serving as a marketing consultant for more than twenty years, she has published internet media, news and magazine press for others, poetry, and fiction under her own self-publish house. She is the mother of two amazing women in San Francisco.

What kind of books do you write?

Two of my latest works are fiction novels, based on real-life events. She Too is the story of student-athletes at Cal and Stanford; victims of hazing, assault, and campus cover-ups. Energy Fix describes the dodgy actions of corrupt energy companies; ultimately responsible for death and destruction. 

Both books, while not necessarily literary genius, have deeply affected my readers. I receive lengthy emails and calls about experiences readers have had in much the same situations. Millions of victims, male and female, are drugged on college campuses and find it difficult to get anyone to believe them. The latest California wildfires being caused by faulty power lines is a hot topic, and I know first-hand what can happen when the power company does not “do the right thing” in all cases. 

Can you describe your writing why?

I write about issues I am passionate about. I give most of my She Too books away free; my attempt to do some small part in supporting #metoo. Energy Fix is my way of calling attention to dodgy energy companies ~ corruption which ultimately led to horrendous wildfires in California. 

Lucky for me, motivation comes in the form of readers’ responses. I am not focussed on sales or marketing but messaging.

After taking a class in 2016 called Write or Die, a floodgate opened up inside of me. Words tallying 100K+ in just a few months when I get on a hot topic. Narrative therapy. 

When my twenty-something daughter’s roommate read a pdf copy of She Too, she took my “vomit on the page” and created a self-published zine, shareable. Once I heard back from enough readers who passionately pleaded with me to share with a broader audience, I uploaded to Amazon. 

Response to She Too has been overwhelming. One detective wrote to me, “this should be required reading for students and parents.” He had so many years of stories to share where victims made bad witnesses in their own cases – and ultimately University’s protecting their reputations do very little to shed light on the subject. Pretending assault does not happen “here on our campus” is no way to improve statistics. When the Larry Nassar case broke in Michigan, it had taken more than 300 victims banding together for one small change.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

My favourite, likely because it has gotten the greatest reaction from readers, is the very last scene in She Too where a nurse and a detective drop a victim home to her apartment. They are both older wiser women trying to help my MC understand she is not alone.

“Well, that was incredibly awful. Drinks?”  (nurse)
“I’m buyin’.” Blotto (detective) pulled into the Safeway lot on College.
Both got out and headed into the grocery. As they rounded the aisle for liquor, a few college boys were discussing volume and alcohol content ‘best bang for a buck’. They continued past to the Mike’s Hard Lemonade and checked out in silence. Not until they reached Renee’s place did Stacey speak. 
“It’s not over for Frankie (MC) you know.”
“Hell, I am more worried about you Stace. It’s not over for any of us.”


Tell us about your latest project

Energy Fix is a thrill ride from start to finish according to one reader. Most everyone agrees, while not polished by an editorial house or fancy publisher, the message is clear. Dodgy energy companies should be held accountable. I hope that readers will understand that speaking up, whistle-blowers, standing for what is right is the only way to make our world a better place. 

Typos and grammar aside, it’s time to unmask corporate greed, cover-ups, and corruption.


What is your favourite cake?

For all of my growing up years, German Chocolate Cake has been my favourite and birthday request. Having recently moved to the Central Coast of California, I am now just about a half mile from the historic Madonna Inn whose slice is the size of three of my books stacked together ~ heavenly!


This has been a very popular cake recently - thanks Rhonda! You can keep up to date with all of Rhonda's writing news on Facebook.

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Christine Astle. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment