Wednesday 31 October 2018

A Slice of Cake With... Margena Holmes

This week I am thrilled to be having a slice of cake with indie author Margena Holmes.

Margena Adams Holmes was born in Bellflower, CA sometime in the 1960s. She has always had a love for both reading and writing, writing her first song/poem in 1st grade. She read the Little House series of books several times until the covers fell off, then as an adult, read the Harry Potter series until the covers fell off. She also loves Sandra Brown’s novels as well as biographies.

As a writer, Margena is an observer of life, and many everyday things could (and do!) end up in her writings. Attending concerts, working her “real” job, and even the Weather Channel has helped Margena in many of her novels. Most recently, her novels have turned to science fiction, where she could “create anything and have the characters go anywhere because it’s my world”. Always looking for writing opportunities, Margena has written for and put together several newsletters for her employer and her church, and wrote several poems in high school which were either published in the yearbook or presented at school functions.

Margena has written for Examiner.com, Kapost, and the now-defunct Yahoo Contributor Network, where she earned the title of Top 500 Contributor for her story on the Black Forest fires in Colorado.

She currently lives in Colorado with her family, where she enjoys hiking, photography, and scrapbooking. She also loves Star Wars, Star Trek, and going to the Renaissance Festival each year. Although she is in Colorado, she still supports her Los Angeles Kings and Los Angeles Dodgers.


What kind of books do you write?

I write in a variety of genres. I started off with just general fiction that is more character-driven. I grew up with Star Wars and Star Trek, so of course, I’d venture into building my own worlds with lots of action and a variety of characters. I also have a book about my time working at a movie theatre. You see some pretty strange things while working there! I pretty much write wherever my imagination (and sometimes reality) takes me.


Can you describe your writing why?

Because I have a story to tell. I’ve always wanted to be a writer, from the time I was about 6 years old and wrote my first “song.” I always enjoyed my English Lit classes in school. I just love words!


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

“Mother, Father,” Jory said. “This is Evalycer Nicholls. Evalycer, King Leander and Queen Arika.”
“Your Majesties,” Evalycer said, nodding her head politely to the both of them.
Queen Arika went over to Evalycer and hugged her. Jory could see how uncomfortable Evalycer was, as she had not expected this kind of informality from the queen.
“Thank you for what you did for Maryllia,” Arika said. “I hear that she could have lost her leg if you hadn’t cut the chemical out.”
“I just did what I had to do, ma’am, and what Maryllia would have done for me,” Evalycer said, taking a step back from the queen. 
“Leander and I spoke, and we’d like to honor you with a title for helping our daughter.”
Evalycer froze. When she found her voice again, she said, “That really isn’t necessary, ma’am.” 
“We insist,” King Leander said.
Evalycer stammered her thanks, gave a nod to them both, and backed out of the room. Jory followed. 
“No!” she shouted to Jory. “Absolutely not. No title. That is so not me.”
Jory grinned, amused at her reaction. “I’ll talk to them and let them know it’s not what you want.”
Evalycer visibly relaxed. “Thank you.”
“I’ll see you later. I’m going home to my wife and a home-cooked meal.”
“I’m going to find a card game somewhere,” she said. “See ya later.”


Tell us about your latest project

My latest project is The Elixir Deception, Book Two in the Elixir Series. Prince Jory is tasked with getting the Elixir to the planet Foridian, but deception leads the crew into danger with the space pirates of Ganta Zay.

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elixir-Deception-Book-Two-ebook/dp/B07G9P7FY4/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

What is your favourite cake?

Before I had to go gluten-free it was Red Velvet cake. Nowadays, I just eat the icing!


A great cake choice Margena - I'm sure somebody, somewhere is making a gluten-free version! For those of you baking along, here is a recipe for Red Velvet Cake. I'm looking forward to making this one.

You can follow Margena on Twitter and Facebook to keep up to date with her writing news.

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with writer Jeanne Richards, grilling them gently about their writing life and of course sharing their favourite cake.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment