Thursday 2 August 2018

July's Book Reviews


Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie - 4 stars

Recap: this is the third book in the series following an ancillary who was ripped away from its ship and embroiled in a war waged by the leader of the empire, on herself.


Review: I read the first two books a while back and I was worried I wouldn't remember what happened but the recap moments in the book were excellent and also spaced out nicely so we didn't have an info dump. I really enjoyed the idea of allowing AIs to realise their own independence and I love the personalities ascribed to the various ships. The Translator was hilarious. In fact, there was much more humour in this book which I enjoyed. I also liked the ending, it was a resolution but also a beginning.





Inside Moves by Walter Danley - 3 stars

Recap: Garth Wainwright and his wife Lacey are involved in a horrific car accident. He barely survives, she is kidnapped and held hostage by a mob boss recently released from prison. Suffering from amnesia Wainwright has to try and piece his life together and find his wife.

Review: I read this book for a review round and I see that its book two in the series so that probably answers some of my questions about character backstory that the reader is expected to know. It's quite a gritty thriller, with an unexpected ending which really makes the book. The characters are a little one dimensional and the dialogue is at times rather wooden but I still wanted to know whether Wainwright would find his wife so the book definitely held my attention.



The Procurement of Souls by Benjamin Hope - 5 stars

Recap: Magnus Drinkwater, eminent scientist, and his daughter Clementine get embroiled in a mystifying missing persons case which leads them to discover a nefarious plot by the deranged Dr Weimar to harness souls for power.

Review: I really enjoyed reading this. The bad guys made me want to boo and hiss every time they came onto the page, so incredibly unlikeable. An excellent blend of Victorian beliefs and author imagination helps to create interesting and believable technology that has horrifying results. Wounds that should've been debilitating were (one of my pet hates when they're not) and there were some truly sad character deaths. A promising debut novel, looking forward to what comes next from this author.


Children of the Furnace by Brin Murray - 5 stars

Recap: Branded as a Heater, young Wil is taken to Ferule, the redukayshun centre. There, the devout try to break him but he survives and together with Leah and Jace discover a new truth about Sekkerland and the Heaters. 

Review: I loved it. I really enjoyed the setting, a world threatened by global warming where technology is only available to some and children are garrisoned for work duty and to became Watchmen. I thought the brutality was spot on. I liked the slight mis-spelling of certain words, made me feel more like I was in their world. I thought the main characters were well thought out and gave you someone to cheer for and someone to hate. I will definitely be reading the second book!


Fiefdom by Dan Abnett - 4 stars
Recap: The ice is melting and the Them are coming. Evelyn War must convince her alpha to join forces with another pack in order for the Aux to survive.

Review: I read this quicker than quick. Part of a larger universe but still easy enough to figure out what's happening. I loved the patois and the pack hierarchy, I haven't decided if they're part dog, part human or just devolved humans. You get sucked into the pack and mourn when characters die and hope for the survival of your favourites. A well written, easy read.







My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante - 3 stars

Recap: This is the story of Elena and Lila, the childhood years.

Review: An interesting insight into lower-class urban life in 1950s Italy. A little muddled in its timeline but it is the first in a series and there is no real resolution so you have to read the next book to find out what happens next. Someone described it to me as Italian Eastenders, an apt description. To paraphrase a fellow book clubber - when it was good, it was really good.







This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay - 5 stars

Recap: A series of journal entries from a junior doctor.

Review: Allow yourself plenty of time to sit down with this book because once you start you won't want to stop! With both parents working in the medical arena, much of this book involved me nodding vehemently in agreement. The anecdotes were highly amusing, the asides on his personal life sad but true for the profession. Some heartbreaking stories and an understandable end to a punishing career. And it wasn't too in your face about the NHS and the government, more like a gentle reminder that we must be aware of ensuring we keep what we have. As a mum of two, one planned and one emergency caesarean, the insights from his side of the operating table were fascinating. A recommended read.



The WAG and the Scoundrel - 3 stars

Recap: Still coping with the death of his husband, Gray is trying to figure out if he has feelings for Wil. Meanwhile, an ex-colleague gets pulled into an unusual case and comes to Gray for help. Between them, they uncover devious blackmail that has resulted in murder.

Review: I thought the emotional description of Gray coming to terms with his loss and the death of one of the dogs was very well done. The relationships felt natural and I enjoyed the writing style. I found the beginning a little confusing, it took me a while to sort out the storylines but I thought they were balanced. I don't usually read 'cozy' mysteries or romance so the book didn't really grip me. It's 3.5 stars.




The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell - 5 stars

Recap: Recently widowed, Elsie goes to live at her late husbands ancestral home only to discover a sinister past, creepy silent companions intent on revenge and an evil spirit.

Review: I think I had the collywobbles the entire way through the book. Wonderfully gothic and dark and creepy, making yourself question everything that happens at the same time the characters are. There are three separate timelines but it doesn't get confusing and adds to the mystery because you just want to know what happens next. Absolutely fantastic ending.




The Magician's Curse by Linda G Hill - 5 stars

Recap: Herman Anderson, nearly 18, meets a tall, handsome magician, accepts a job offer on the train and goes home with him. Stephen Dagmar, the tall, handsome magician is trying to break his families curse by impregnating the help. It gets more complicated.

Review: It helps that I had a long journey to read this book on so I didn't have to put it down. I found the sexual tension absolutely gripping and fantastically well written without being coarse or terribly cliche. A highly unusual girls name, a bizarre family curse, real magic hinted at, family secrets, a foul-mouthed spirit, a deranged pregnant lady all mixed up with a healthy dollop of sex - fantastic!



The Magician's Blood by Linda G Hill - 4 stars

Recap: Herman and Stephen continue to figure out their relationship in the light of his demonic powers and the complication of Nina.

Review: Maybe it was because I read book two straight after reading book one but it felt repetitive and that hardly anything was happening until about three-quarters of the way through and then bam! It all kicked off and that was fantastic. The prose has lost its delicious sexual tension from book one and moved into a darker, more violent sexual frenzy at times. I don't think I'll ever forgive Stephen for the Margaret incident. And that's a mark of great writing, getting so invested with the characters - feeling happy when they're happy and crying when they're sad. I will definitely be reading book three!




Claire Buss is a multi-genre writer and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment